Honored Contributor

Re: Book Suggestions for surgery tecovery

@icezeus wrote:

@LoriLori 

I get 99.9% of my books from the Library to read. It's more cost effective that way at the rate at which I read books. Every now and then I run across one that I have enjoyed so much that I want to own a copy of it, since I could see myself reading it again. That's how I felt about three wishes. I just purchased a copy this past weekend from e-bay to add to my library. $3.99 plus fre shipping. (smile) 

@icezeus  I wish you could see the smile on my face.  I just love that book.  All of hers that I mention.  There's no greater joy on this forum then finding out something you recommended made someone happy.  Oh wait, there is a greater joy and that is reading something someone recommended that made me happy!

Honored Contributor

You have been given many good book suggestions but I find it difficult to focus on a book for a week or two after surgery.   I’d go for old movies and reruns of tv dramas like Law & Order.

Good luck!

Respected Contributor

I am agreeing with the other posters: 

Sue Grafton novels (any of the Alphabet series, my favorite is S is for Silence)

Liane Moriaty novels (My favorite is What Alice Forgot)

J. D. Robb books are also good, easy and fast read. 

If you want something light and funny, I recommend 

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

If you want something deeper and transport you to a different time and place, I recommend 

Ann Patchett's State of Wonder or Bel Canto

Have a great recovery!

Valued Contributor

@3blackdogs  Hi I have a few books to recommend, THE LAST ROMANTIC, loved that book!  I also love mystery, Peter Robinson writes English mystery,also Debra Crombie too. Tanya French is Another mystery writer,she is long but I love her. J k Rowling writes under a pen name love her mystery books. Mary Burton writes mystery her books are under Romance at Barnes and Nobles.THE DEAD KEY, by D.M. Pulley, is a real interesting book which has fabulous descriptions of an old building used for a bankin the 50’s it is a great mystery. I have read a lot of the books listed here and loved them you can’t go wrong. Good luck and hope you are on the mend soon!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

@LoriLori 

I get 99.9% of my books from the Library to read. It's more cost effective that way at the rate at which I read books. Every now and then I run across one that I have enjoyed so much that I want to own a copy of it, since I could see myself reading it again. That's how I felt about three wishes. I just purchased a copy this past weekend from e-bay to add to my library. $3.99 plus fre shipping. (smile) 

@icezeus  I wish you could see the smile on my face.  I just love that book.  All of hers that I mention.  There's no greater joy on this forum then finding out something you recommended made someone happy.  Oh wait, there is a greater joy and that is reading something someone recommended that made me happy!

@LoriLori 

The characters had depth and so many facets to what made them up. I did not expect the book to be as funny as it was either.  Lyn's daughter the three year old was adorable to me. I would read scenes that she was in and I could feel myself smiling if not outright laughing.  Towards the end of the book when she asked that one gentleman who came to her home who he was, and then she breaks out in a smile and says Teletubby. (Crack up laughing moment)

I have read and enjoyed plenty of books. Rarely, am I still thinking about a book several weeks after I have finished it. That's how I knew that I had to purchase.

Trusted Contributor

First, I send you healing thoughts during your recovery. You received great suggestions already. I would add The Orphan X series by George Hurwitz, the third book just came out, it is a suspenseful thriller which I really enjoyed. I also would suggest John Sanford's Prey Series. I recently read a Young Adult book called Truly Devious that I enjoyed it is also a series of 3 books I believe with 2 already written, it is a mystery. Although not a young adult, I enjoy this genre as I find the story always catches me faster, and I am not reading waiting for something to happen! Whatever you choose I hope you enjoy and pass the time till you are feeling better again, take care and be good to yourself.

"Dogs heal hearts they never broke"
RIP Lexi aka "Momma" 1/15/24
Respected Contributor

@3blackdogs 

This past December and January were traumatic with DH’s sudden heart condition ( now under control ) and I needed some reading that would occupy my mind.

One of the posters listed several authors along side of Patterson.  Since I had read most of his early works and later co-authored books, I settled on Michael Connelly since he was mentioned by him as one of the great mystery writers.  And, he was right !

I became addicted to the LAPD detective Harry Bosch series.  You may enjoy him....not a lot of gore....keeps you very interested.

Suggestion: an “ elibrary card “ makes selection and return as easy as clicking a button.  I did not have to pay for the card as it was offered by my county library.  Download “ Cloud Library “ from the AP Store to Start.

Healthy Healing !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

Lee Child's "Jack Reacher" books are very good.  I got tired of James Patterson, but I picked up his "Target".  I'm almost finished with it and it really held my interest.  I like J. A. Jance's Sheriff Brady series also.  Any book by Faye Kellerman will be good.  Dorthea Benton Frank writes about South Carolina around Charleston and I also look forward to a new one.

Of course Mary Higgins Clark , Nora Roberts and Danielle Steel are easy reads and should hold your interest.  If you like mystery/romance try Jude Devereaux - I just finished "A Willing Murder" and is kept my interest.

Super Contributor

Good to know...I thought it was just me🤪. I have been watching Chicago PD!!!
Super Contributor

Thank you for all the great suggestions, many that I’m unfamiliar with! So appreciated.