Super Contributor

Book Suggestions for surgery tecovery

I have started a 6 mo surgery recovery. I’ve been having trouble staying interested in the books I’ve been reading. So needing some suggestions, series is nice too. Not a dystopian, vampire, sc-fi or fantasy fan, but mystery, suspense, thriller, romance, generational. TIA
Honored Contributor

Re: Book Suggestions for surgery tecovery

[ Edited ]

I would agree the James Patterson genre of books would be my go-to for someone on the mend.  Light, intriguing, compelling.....but my guess is you have already consumed most of this genre of books.  Best wishes for a speedy recuperation!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@3blackdogs -

Have you read Louise Penney's series?-

Award winning Armand Gamache mysteries.

I also love M.C. Beaton's Hamish Macbeth mysteries-a soothing very likeable inspector in an Scottish countryside solving the murder.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Sue Grafton for sure.  Nelson DeMille, Michael Connelly. These are my "go to" for long airplane trips.  Fast, intriguing plots.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

"All The Light We Cannot See" and "Where the Crawdads Sing."

If you like light and silly cozy reading occasionally, the Laura Childs books (esp. the first tea shop ones) and Diane Mott Davidson books are fun. 

Honored Contributor

Liane Moriarty's novels. They're easy to read, have romance and some mystery, great characters and they have depth. I recommend:

Three Wishes
The Last Anniversary
The Husband's Secret
Big Little Lies

Jane Harper has written three great mysteries, all of which take place in the Australian outback:

The Dry

Force of Nature

and her newest, The Lost Man which I'm reading now and I'm so into it I hate to put it down

For cozy mysteries I love Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce series. There are ten, starting with The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. They're witty and well written.

The ones below are easy reads and all are feelgoods and they're heartwarming.  In case you haven't read them:

A Man Called Ove
Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
The Story of Arthur Truluv
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Sorry about the surgery. I had a three-month surgical recovery and my ability to focus improved day by day. Hopefully you find some real gems in this thread that help you get through!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@3blackdogs ,  I just finished two excellent mystery series that are free if you have Prime.  The Ray Elkin mysteries based in Northern Michigan and the Sandhamm mysteries based in Sweden.  

If you want a really light mystery series, then the Lady Justice series by Robert Thornhill.

I hope the surgery goes very well.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

I would recommend going through the February thread of what are you reading 2019, we have tons of posters who post books that they have read or about to read, and what they think of them. If you are unfamiliar with the book or author, open another window, and  search for the book on goodreads one of my favorite sites for book information. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori wrote:

Liane Moriarty's novels. They're easy to read, have romance and some mystery, great characters and they have depth. I recommend:

Three Wishes
The Last Anniversary
The Husband's Secret
Big Little Lies

Jane Harper has written three great mysteries, all of which take place in the Australian outback:

The Dry

Force of Nature

and her newest, The Lost Man which I'm reading now and I'm so into it I hate to put it down

For cozy mysteries I love Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce series. There are ten, starting with The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. They're witty and well written.

The ones below are easy reads and all are feelgoods and they're heartwarming.  In case you haven't read them:

A Man Called Ove
Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
The Story of Arthur Truluv
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Sorry about the surgery. I had a three-month surgical recovery and my ability to focus improved day by day. Hopefully you find some real gems in this thread that help you get through!

@LoriLori 

I get 99.9% of my books from the Library to read. It's more cost effective that way at the rate at which I read books. Every now and then I run across one that I have enjoyed so much that I want to own a copy of it, since I could see myself reading it again. That's how I felt about three wishes. I just purchased a copy this past weekend from e-bay to add to my library. $3.99 plus fre shipping. (smile) 

Esteemed Contributor

Daniel Silva's series on spy and assassin Gabriel Allon, are very good. They're suspenseful and the characters are interesting. The first book in that series is The Kill Artist. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain