Honored Contributor

Does anyone belong and if you do , is it worth it?

Trusted Contributor

I used to belong to every book club around. Not sure if they were worth it but I liked getting a box of books. I think the Book of The Month Club was my least favorite one I belonged to. I used to like the Literary Guild & Doubleday better. Not sure if they’re still around as I haven’t bought actual books in years. Kindle, all the way! 

But before you join check the commitment & the prices of the regular books. Some also had options to purchase your first book at a reduced price- I usually did that. 

Esteemed Contributor

I've never belonged to a book club.  Though I did take Oprah's recommendations a couple of times and I hated the books!!!   I like picking what I'm interested in and try to mix it up.  From romance to documentaries, variety!!

Respected Contributor

I don't think it is worth it unless you get offered a special for a  couple of months and even then it's might not be

I buy books that I don't need and then don't read them

I read a lot on kindle

Respected Contributor

Over the years, I've belonged to several mail order book clubs.

NONE of them were worth it. You're better off budgeting your book money and shopping around.

Esteemed Contributor

Why not do Kindle unlimited?

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

Why not do Kindle unlimited?

I like a book with pages to read and turn and mark, not crazy about reading from a screen for pleasure.

Trusted Contributor

@blackhole99

I'm with you -- I don't really enjoy reading from an E-book either, although I do understand the appeal of having many books available in an easy-to-carry form. 

Over the years I belonged to several mail-order Book Clubs.  My all-time favorite for finding interesting new books was something called QPBC (the Quality Paper Back Book Club) -- even though I'm a hardcover fanatic.  I have no idea whether it still exists.

Ultimately the mail-order book clubs weren't worth the trouble of keeping up with the selections and specifically declining the ones I didn't want.  The supposedly cheaper prices were always offset by the "Shipping and Handling" fees.  Plus -- at least in my book club member days -- the books were special "Book Club Editions" which were more cheaply produced. 

Every once in a while there were some great bargains in the Special Introductory Offers for new members, though.  I once got the full Will Durant History Set for something like $1.00.

Now that we have the Internet (and the dedicated readers in this Forum), there are better and cheaper ways of finding and buying books.

Honored Contributor

I did not know the Book of the Month Club still existed.  I belonged I think about 40 years ago.  I loved picking out my books each month.  

Respected Contributor

I just saw an ad for it on TV, it showed a gal getting her "Book of the Month."  It was kind of funny, since it implied (at first) that she was getting something else of the month.  I belonged to it a gazillion years ago and didn't think they were around anymore.  I wouldn't join one now, though.