Frequent Contributor

Book Blogs or You tube channels?

I'm curious to know what book blogs people follow or what you tube reviewers you watch.  I know that it's common to go to Amazon and read reviews, but I like book blogs to find out about what is out that is new and what someone thought of it.  I've also been randomly watching you tube channels that review books, because it's something that I can put on and just listen to while I'm cleaning or getting ready.  What blogs or book-tubers do you follow?

Also, I've been thinking about this- how do you wish that book reviewers would structure their reviews?  I'd like a short synopsis, what they liked and didn't like, their overall impression, and also maybe a comparison of "This book reminded me of" or "If you liked X you'd probably like this book."  What else do you really want to know from a book review or what would make it more helpful for you?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Book Blogs or You tube channels?

[ Edited ]

I like simplicity. In fact I do not enjoy book blogs and I would never watch or listen to what someone has to say about a book.

I prefer to look up what books are about on Goodreads and make my decision to request it from the library's or not. The only time that I may read a review would be if I am on the fence about requesting the book.

I thought that I should add that I am not criticizing people who like book  or video blogs. It's just not how I make my decisions on what books to read. 

Trusted Contributor

I really enjoy Bookreporter.com. Someone here recommended it to me years ago and I wish I remembered who it was to thank them! I really enjoy the weekly newsletter email that comes on Friday. My Saturday morning pleasure is reading it with my coffee. Another feature of the site I enjoy is the Bets On. It's the favorite picks of Carol, Bookreporter.com's creator. There are also contests and A Word Of Mouth feature I enjoy, plus through reviews. She also just started a YouTube channel as well, but my favorite is definitely the newsletter.

As far as Youtube channels, I really enjoy Owlcrate. It is a YA subscription book service but they have their own Youtube channel. Although I love my subscription which I have had for years, you DO NOT have to be a subscriber to enjoy this channel its a great channel for lovers of the Young Adult Genre of any age, I am in my 50's.

The other Youtube channel I just started watching is Sarah's Nightstand, I enjoy her detailed but concise reviews of all different genres.

I also like Elle is for Literature's blog some of you may be familiar with her beauty Youtube channel Elle is for Living, where she also does book reviews periodically. But her blog is all books. Another beauty Youtuber that does book reviews periodically that I like is MakeUpMLC. 

Can't wait to see what other's have to say. So glad you asked @rissajaneen 

Have a nice weekend.

"Dogs heal hearts they never broke"
RIP Lexi aka "Momma" 1/15/24
Frequent Contributor

@kathie66 Thank you for the great suggestions. I get the Bookreporter newsletter but missed that Carol had started a YouTube channel. I really appreciate the other channels. Can't wait to check them out. 

Trusted Contributor

@AndiCat You are so welcome!

BooksandLala is another Youtube channel whose content I enjoy watching from time to time. 

Frequent Contributor

I do get what you're saying about wanting simplicity and wanting to make your own decision on a book.  I don't think that hearing a bad review turns me off to a book because I think that everyone is different in terms of what they like.  I will say that for me following blogs/youtube channels about books gives me some reading inspiration.  Even following this bookclub blog on QVC has given me ideas about books or authors I might find interesting.

Respected Contributor

@kathie66 wrote:

I really enjoy Bookreporter.com. Someone here recommended it to me years ago and I wish I remembered who it was to thank them! I really enjoy the weekly newsletter email that comes on Friday. My Saturday morning pleasure is reading it with my coffee. Another feature of the site I enjoy is the Bets On. It's the favorite picks of Carol, Bookreporter.com's creator. There are also contests and A Word Of Mouth feature I enjoy, plus through reviews. She also just started a YouTube channel as well, but my favorite is definitely the newsletter.

As far as Youtube channels, I really enjoy Owlcrate. It is a YA subscription book service but they have their own Youtube channel. Although I love my subscription which I have had for years, you DO NOT have to be a subscriber to enjoy this channel its a great channel for lovers of the Young Adult Genre of any age, I am in my 50's.

The other Youtube channel I just started watching is Sarah's Nightstand, I enjoy her detailed but concise reviews of all different genres.

I also like Elle is for Literature's blog some of you may be familiar with her beauty Youtube channel Elle is for Living, where she also does book reviews periodically. But her blog is all books. Another beauty Youtuber that does book reviews periodically that I like is MakeUpMLC. 

Can't wait to see what other's have to say. So glad you asked @rissajaneen 

Have a nice weekend.

@kathie66   Thank You, @kathie66 

Trusted Contributor

@alliswell  You are welcome!!

Honored Contributor

Neither.  I would never because the bloggers and youtubers are making money off of every click.  The whole thing turns me off.  Usually I go with my gut. 

I've also been getting and sending friend requests on Goodreads.  A friend talked me into Gooreads a few years ago and I was private until recently (except for someone on this forum and I can't remember how I was able to find her).

I never wanted to "collect" friends --  but now I see the value because I see what they're reading and can read their reviews iand it's opening me up to a lot of writers and books new to me. 

I'm glad I'm adding friends.  If I read a review I really like I may send a friend request and  I'm getting requests from other people and they're all over the world.  

With one click Goodreads lets you compare books with any potential friends.   I've been friending people that love a lot of the same books I do but also love ones I've never heard of. . I've probably added 20 books to my TBR list this week alone from seeing what they're reading, snd they're all over the world. 

Today the mailman brought me an Australian mystery some Goodreads friends loved, and I would never have heard of and it looks great.  

I know a lot of people here are on Goodreads, but in case you're not...great way to learn about even more books.

(And a lot of these people have blogs so if you like blogs you can find new ones that way too.)

Trusted Contributor

as librarian, i use fantasticfiction.com a lot.  like that give a bit of a bio on each author plus list s new books