Respected Contributor

Re: Big, hefty reads..suggestions?

[ Edited ]

East of Eden John Steinbeck

The Pillars of the Earth, World without End,  A Column of Fire    Ken Follett

Freida Klein books by Nikki French  (I think the first one is Blue Monday)

Michael Robotham also writes a group of books with one character. They are excellent

(the character is Joseph O'Loughlin. I think the first book is The Suspect)

Super Contributor

Thank You all for the great list of recommendations!   I am off to explore my library with your recommendations in hand!   I'm newly retired and love having more time to sit, relax, and fall in love with a new book!

Honored Contributor

Sarum by Edward Rutherford is fabulous!  You learn a lot of history and get to follow families through generations!  My husband and I loved it.

100 Years of Soliditude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez: family. Inventive, amusing, magnetic, sad, and alive with unforgettable men and women -- brimming with truth, compassion, and a lyrical magic that strikes the soul -- this novel is a masterpiece in the art of fiction.  You need to accept a little mystical edge but it is a wondeful book.  A LOT to chew on.  People love or hate it!  LOL!!!

Anything David McCullough has written!  

Respected Contributor

@srgtdj 

Winds of War is an excellent recommendation.  Read it many years ago.

This last December- January DH had some heart issues and I read quite a few of the Michael Connelly detective series with Bosch as the continuing character.  The plots are involved and I really got into this homicide detectI’ve character.  ( not necessary to read them in sequence )

The stories kept my mind as relaxed as could be given the situation.  He is doing very well now.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

I recommend Les Miserables.  

It is amazingly readable!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

“ And Ladies Of the Club”   By Helen  Santmyer

FABULOUS!  Also,  The Far Pavilions “

Enjoy

Super Contributor

Older novels- anything by James Michener.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

"You Can't Go Home Again" by Thomas Wolfe. It is over 700 pages. I read it 2X and I rarely read any thing 2X.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Flatbush, Thomas Wolfe is one of my most treasured authors. Last winter I taught an OLLI class (senior citizen organization) his Look Homeward, Angel. I'll be teaching the follow-up, Of Time and the River, this fall. Then in the winter term I'll lead students through the third book, You Can't Go Home Again.

I have a lot of serious re-reading ahead!

Honored Contributor

As someone else suggested, The Kent Family Chronicles is a great series. It may have come out around the U.S. Bicentennial. I'd like to read all the books again.