Esteemed Contributor

Re: Big, hefty reads..suggestions?

@srgtdj  I second (or third) ...And Ladies of the Club” and raise “Shantaram.”

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

Flatbush, Thomas Wolfe is one of my most treasured authors. Last winter I taught an OLLI class (senior citizen organization) his Look Homeward, Angel. I'll be teaching the follow-up, Of Time and the River, this fall. Then in the winter term I'll lead students through the third book, You Can Never Go Home Again.

I have a lot of serious re-reading ahead!

Sounds like a greyt agenda. I've been a fan of his since I read Look Homeward Angel, many years ago. Unfortunately, he seems to have fallen out of favor so it is wonderful to see you teaching his books. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ , I LOVED And the Sea Will Tell!

@srgtdj , happy retirement!!!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@srgtdj  I read The Count of Monte Cristo recently.  I loved it and fell in love with The Count. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Trusted Contributor

I'd recommend the Penn Cage series by Greg Iles.  I'd actually recommend everything by Greg Iles.  Most of his books are pretty hefty and I've read and loved them all.  He's fantastic at character development and his stories are always interesting.  

Some else also mentioned Shantaram.  I read this over ten years ago, but still remember it.  If I remember correctly, it's almost 1,000 pages so it is very hefty and well worth a read.

Good luck and thanks for posting this question.  I just love finding new authors or series.  I'll definitely be checking out other's suggestions on this thread.

Honored Contributor

@lkat wrote:

I'd recommend the Penn Cage series by Greg Iles.  I'd actually recommend everything by Greg Iles.  Most of his books are pretty hefty and I've read and loved them all.  He's fantastic at character development and his stories are always interesting.  

Some else also mentioned Shantaram.  I read this over ten years ago, but still remember it.  If I remember correctly, it's almost 1,000 pages so it is very hefty and well worth a read.

Good luck and thanks for posting this question.  I just love finding new authors or series.  I'll definitely be checking out other's suggestions on this thread.

@lkat.  I also like the Books by Greg Iles.

Regular Contributor

I really enjoy books by John Irving. For me, She's Come Undone was a very rich story with excellent character development. Another book I enjoyed of his was The World According to Garp. 

Valued Contributor

The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.  Start with the first book, Outlander, and go in order.  They are hefty and it will take a few months to get through all eight books.  She is writing number nine now.  They are excellent!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The new Neal Stephenson Book Fall;or Dodge, in Hell  is long and good. over 800 pages. Stephen Kings IT  is almost 1000 pages.