Valued Contributor

I am going to my great nieces baby shower. Instead of a card they want us to bring a book for the baby. It's been years since I had any little ones. Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Re: Baby Book Suggestions

[ Edited ]

Pat The Bunny is my fave - it's adorable.  Little ones really love it.  

https://www.amazon.com/Pat-Bunny-Touch-Feel-Book/dp/0307120007/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2FYNWKA30I4E7&keyword...

Valued Contributor

My sister and I were just discussing this too and she decided to buy "Goodnight Moon".

Frequent Contributor

Think ahead...buy any of the inexpensive classic Golden Book that strikes your fancy. I just bought Pocahantas for a 2 year old who will love the pictures and enjoy the story. Most folks buy the thick page picture books for very little ones. The secret to a smart child is to read, read, read to them every day. 

Frequent Contributor
My favorites: Where’s Spot, Make Way for Ducklings, The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Esteemed Contributor

@mary0129 wrote:

Think ahead...buy any of the inexpensive classic Golden Book that strikes your fancy. I just bought Pocahantas for a 2 year old who will love the pictures and enjoy the story. Most folks buy the thick page picture books for very little ones. The secret to a smart child is to read, read, read to them every day. 

Agree, my Grandson is 1 yr old and he loves  his Mother & Nana to read to him. His favorite book is a thick page baby bible  book that has a handle on the end . I bought the book at Hobby Lobby .  He's not so attached as yet to the big cloth books , however he is beginning to like the soft book called " Cuddle up Teddy . " It was a baby shower gift  that may have come from QVC .

Honored Contributor

My grandma read to me, and it’s not only a lovely memory, but it started a lifelong love of reading. 💕

@skatting44 wrote:

@mary0129 wrote:

Agree, my Grandson is 1 yr old and he loves  his Mother & Nana to read to him. His favorite book is a thick page baby bible  book that has a handle on the end . I bought the book at Hobby Lobby .  He's not so attached as yet to the big cloth books , however he is beginning to like the soft book called " Cuddle up Teddy . " It was a baby shower gift  that may have come from QVC .

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

When my first grandchild was born my oldest daughter gave me a book called, "Grandma remembers".  

It's wonderful.  Can you believe I now have 7 living grandchildren?  I STILL write in the book.  Except I write stories about my late husband and myself when we met, the friends and things we did, etc.

There are places for pictures.  If you give something like that it will be different and I guarantee you she'll remember who gave it to her (for HER MOM) and you can, if you want to give one for the baby's Father.

We were married 7 years before we had our first daughter so there are so many memories, stories, people and places they didn't know about.  But it's still about the baby's heritage.

In our family we pass stories and things down the line.  Just the other day my middle daughter asked me to go out in front of my yard and send me a picture of the big rock she and her sister's would set on while waiting for the school bus.  She said she tells her girls about her childhood and wanted them to see the big rock.

This might not be a big deal to some but obviously, it made a memory for my middle daughter.

I hope you get the idea.  It's always good to pass down memories to each generation.  Then if you wanted to you could give some little outfit.

I always have a friend of mine knit baby blankets for everyone (and I mean everyone I know having a baby).  Her baby blankets have gone to waitresses, bank tellers, you name it.  I enjoy giving what I call, "I love you" gifts to other's.  It's a win-win.  My friend makes money at doing something she does constantly on her 'down time'.  These people get a one of a kind memory.

My niece just gave her great niece a quilt she made herself.  She sent me a picture of it.  It was beautiful.

Esteemed Contributor

@hovis  I would suggest giving a favorite book of yours when you were a child. Another idea is to give a favorite poem illustrated for a child, like this favorite of mine:

stopping by woods.jpg

You could add a dedication in the front telling the child why it is important to you. I'm sure the child will receive more than one copy of Goodnight Moon, so go for something different. 

Respected Contributor

My grandchildren loved "The Owl and the Pussycat".....and there are copies out there with gorgeous illustrations.