Honored Contributor

Re: BRITISH AUTHOR P. D. JAMES' MYSTERIES

@Oznell wrote:

Hey, sweet @Judaline,  I haven't tried him in a long time, but in certain moods I think I could probably handle Spillane too!  Skipping the brutal parts (if there are any.)

One of my favorite Fifties' film noirs is a Spillane adaptation, "Kiss Me Deadly" with Ralph Meeker--  fabulous!

Yes, wasn't Ralph Meeker great in that? Loved it. I remember a scene where someone's hand got creamed in a desk drawer, hahaha. Probably Mike was the instigator. He was a cool number, RM. I don't think he made enough movies!

Honored Contributor

Finished "The Lighthouse",  which P.D.  James must have written in her mid- eighties;  I think the publish date was 2005 or thereabouts!  Great to see her powers were completely undiminished by advancing years.

Terrific plotting, descriptions and surprise twists.  I did not spot the murderer until unmasked.  The one thing I'm not that thrilled with in the later Dalgliesh books, is James' choice of a girlfriend for him, "Emma".   She's very learned, beautiful and nice, but I love his hardscrabble, spunky fellow policewoman, "Kate Miskin",  who grew up in a London project.  James arranges other romantic liaisons for her, but admits in this book that Kate is really in love with Dalgliesh, and somewhat tortured by it.

Now I've plunged back into my favorite, the one about the nursing school murders,  "Shroud for a Nightingale",   written in the Seventies, I believe.  It won numerous awards and is one of her most engrossing....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

P. D. James is a favorite of mine along with Harlan Coben, Martha Grimes, and Elizabeth George.

I don't care for cozy mysteries either.

Honored Contributor

Oh, nice list, @occasionalrain..   I haven't read Martha Grimes in years, but remember enjoying her very much!