Valued Contributor

I nominate anything by Charles Todd. (Actually, a mother-son duo writing under this nom de plume.)

Todd has a whole line of mysteries featuring Inspector Ian Rutledge, set in England just after WWI. Rutledge is an intesting character, a war hero who has experienced shell shock but must return to Scotland Yard just to see if he can still investigate and solve murders, etc.

Excellent perspective on that terrible war, well developed plots, great characters. Nary a vulgar word outside of "bloody awful" or "******." 

Todd has also created a parallel group of novels with a WWI nurse, Bess Crawford, who falls into various murders and plots and solves them with logic and ingenuity. Once again, good characters, good plots, no extraneous bad language or romance.

Neither is namby pamby, just good writing. Thoroughly enjoyable!

Super Contributor

Ali LaVecchia has written several Young Adult mysteries which are enjoyable for adults as well.  She is a former English and drama teacher.

Paula Daly is a writer I have just discovered and I really like her books - they are not mysteries per se, but just intereting stories with a little mystery thrown in.  What I like is that the situations make me think about what I would do in a similar situation.  Her most recent is "The Mistake I Made".

Honored Contributor

I agree with an earlier Poster, Laura Childs is wonderful.  She does the Tea Shoppe Mysteries also The Scrapbook Mysteries and Cackleberry Mysteries.

DEATH BY DARJEELING
Tea Shop Mystery #1

Keepsake Crimes
Scrapbook Mystery #1

EGGS IN PURGATORY
Cackleberry Club Mystery #1

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

ChynnaBlue:  You're sure right about Preston/Child - violent, especially Reacher.

I've read all the Inspector Lynley series.  She is coming out with a new one on October 27 - "A Banquet Of ....." - can't remember the whole title.  I wish PBS would show that series again, or produce some new shows.  Really enjoyed watching them.

In another post you recommended Agatha Christie and Sherlock Holmes.  Agree - I have read them over and over again and enjoyed them every time.

Respected Contributor

@Zita wrote:

I nominate anything by Charles Todd. (Actually, a mother-son duo writing under this nom de plume.)

Todd has a whole line of mysteries featuring Inspector Ian Rutledge, set in England just after WWI. Rutledge is an intesting character, a war hero who has experienced shell shock but must return to Scotland Yard just to see if he can still investigate and solve murders, etc.

Excellent perspective on that terrible war, well developed plots, great characters. Nary a vulgar word outside of "bloody awful" or "******." 

Todd has also created a parallel group of novels with a WWI nurse, Bess Crawford, who falls into various murders and plots and solves them with logic and ingenuity. Once again, good characters, good plots, no extraneous bad language or romance.

Neither is namby pamby, just good writing. Thoroughly enjoyable!

I have read these books and really liked them.  I felt so bad for Rutledge when he got back from the war.  I enjoy books from the early 1900's.  I also read the Maisie Dobbs series by J. Winspear, they too were good.

Respected Contributor

This is really good information.  I know most of the authors listed however, there are few I'm not familiar with.  This will keep me busy for awhile.

Regular Contributor

I found the books by DIxie Cash fun to read.  Two beauticians get themselves in all kinds of fixes while trying to solve mysteries in their small town...humorous, couldn't put down reads for me.  Two sisters have written the books, at least a half-dozen of them.  Friends I have recommended them enjoyed them, too.

Honored Contributor

@sward05 wrote:

I found the books by DIxie Cash fun to read.  Two beauticians get themselves in all kinds of fixes while trying to solve mysteries in their small town...humorous, couldn't put down reads for me.  Two sisters have written the books, at least a half-dozen of them.  Friends I have recommended them enjoyed them, too.

I found this series myself just this year and what a find.  I loved them.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Author Suggestions

[ Edited ]

@Winkk wrote:

What I'm looking for is an author who writes good mysteries without being vulgar or overly violent.  I have Christian books, which are good, but sometimes they are too squeaky clean.  I would like to find something with a bite to it but still not go overboard on graphic language or scenes.  Add to that, not too much of a mushy love story. 

Is there such an author?  Thanks.

I was recently at a Dr. appt. and he saw I was reading. He suggested a writer  "CJ Box."  I just finished two of his books "Back of Beyond" and "The Highway." Both were crime mysteries and both were good.

He's written a lot of books but these two are a set about an ex-alcoholic policeman who sometimes finds it hard to work within the rules of his profession. He's good at his job but is sometimes a liability. There is murder but not too gruesome and no graphic language that I can recall. 

Valued Contributor

Jo Nesbo  crime/mystery

Oliver Potzsch  crime/mystery

Louise Perry   crime/mystery

Joyce Carol Oates   mystery/suspense

Sarah Dunant   romance/mystery

Geraldine Brooks  historical fiction

Erik Larsen     nonfiction