Honored Contributor

Re: Author Suggestions

[ Edited ]

I'm reading a book right now that made me think of this thread. It's called The Musubi Murder and the author is Frankie Bow. It's set in Hawaii and most of the characters are professors or students at a college out there. There MAY be a romance, but it's the first (and so far only) book of a brand new series and halfway in I can't tell if the love interest is the bad guy or an actual love interest. It's definitely not a mushy romance, at least not so far.

Esteemed Contributor

An author that I have enjoyed a great deal is James Lee Burke and his Detective Dave Robichaud series.  I love his style of writing.  I think I've read every book he wrote.  Written in places of the south like the parishes of Louisiana, he has a rare talent of telling a crime story and making the locale come alive so much that you feel like you are there with your characters.  

He has written other books besides this series.  If you want to try him out, go to the first one in the series and start.  His stories can have some grit but I just loved them.

It is not necessary to read them in order but it helps.  

I wish i could could start over with him.  I really enjoyed each one.  LM

Regular Contributor

I really like the mystery series by Mary Marks (book 1: Forget Me Knot).  It features a middle aged quilter who finds herself at the wrong place at the wrong time, then gets a taste for sleuthing! They have humor, intrigue, and a fun whodunnit!  I can't wait for the next installment next year.

Esteemed Contributor

You might want to read Laura Levine's mysteries. They are such fun to read, about a female detective and her wacky cat named Prozac. She's always getting herself into predicaments and it's so enjoyable to read how she solves these cases. 

They are clean and humorous and fun! 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Occasional Contributor

Try Amy Beth Arkawy's mysteries - on Amazon - "Killing Time"  and 2nd book

good clean fun and interesting characters.  I think you would definitely enjoy her two books - the third in the series should be coming out soon.

Esteemed Contributor

I enjoyed a few cute mysteries that might be a fit for you. They're by M. Louise Lock called Victorian San Francisco mysteries.  I think they're well done and fun.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth