Regular Contributor

Re: Are you still buying books or have you replaced them with a KINDLE?

This month marks my 9 year Kindle-versary!  I love love love love my kindle. I used to agonize about how many and which books to take on vacation, or to a boring class, or a long commute, or a waiting room for an appointment. Now I can take all of my books with me on a small device that lights up and remembers where I left off and allows me to easily switch books when I want to!  I still read paper books. I still visit the library. I still have shelves and piles of books to read, but I read on my kindle every single day and night. 

I have learned a lot about how to be thrifty on my kindle (the one-click buying power was too much for me.)  I have a monthly budget for new releases. I use the e-book collection at the library. I belong to NetGalley and read and review advance reader copies for free. I share my e-books with my reader friends. I share a Kindle account with my book-loving mom and aunt, so we have 3 times as many books.  I have a love/hate relationship with Kindle Unlimited.

Overall, I have spent less on books in the last 9 years than before. I read voraciously and have my entire life. My allowance as a child was a trip to the local bookstore to choose a new book every Friday.  The only thing that suffers is my local Used Book Store, because I don't shop and trade there  nearly as much as I did before. 

I do not read on my phone or ipad. I HATED my Kindle Fire. The glare on the screen makes me crazy!  The kindle Paperwhite is the device for me. 

I love books in all varieties. It is important that I read and others read and there are ways for everyone to get their books. The kindle works best for me. I love the convenience and being able to read whatever I want, whenever I want.

Super Contributor

I have a Kindle & I read books on it.  But for some reason I find I don't enjoy the books as much.  I like holding the physical book and take my time to read (sometimes with a glass of brandyWoman Very Happy. )  I don't know if it makes sense.  It might just be me.

Contributor

I read on my kindle ( first generation Oasis). It is the smallest and lightest of the Kindles.  I have arthritis in my hands and bones removed in my wrist. I love real books but was having to much trouble reading hard cover.  I would have to sit at the kitchen table couldn't hold book and turn pages.  Paperbacks are hard for me to keep open the deeper I get into the pages.  Then there is the font size that you control on the kindle so I don't need the large print books.  The Kindle has been a lifesaver for me as I love to read and always have a book that I am reading.  We do what we must.  Sonia

Contributor

I have a Kindle, Nook and also read books. I use all but prefer to read books. I just like the feel of a real book and turning the pages. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have a Kindle Fire, which I use from time to time. Nothing annoys me more than having to stop reading my book to plug in and charge or stopping to see how much battery life is left.  

I average about two books a week. Therefore my choice for reading are books from the Library. I pick what I want, reserve, and renew when necessary all online. I have a routine whereby every Saturday I head to the library and pick up books that are being held for me.

It works for me.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

There's just something about books that I like......I don't know, the feel and look of them?  I don't care for paperbacks, tho.

I have a lot of books of my Dad's from when he was in college in the depression days of the '30s.  I treasure them!   I have lots of books and would never read on a kindle. 

Esteemed Contributor

@kitty45 wrote:

I have a Kindle & I read books on it.  But for some reason I find I don't enjoy the books as much.  I like holding the physical book and take my time to read (sometimes with a glass of brandyWoman Very Happy. )  I don't know if it makes sense.  It might just be me.

@kitty45  IYes, it makes sense.  I feel the same way.......read my post Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I do not buy books, for the lack of space to store t hem.  I am a huge fan of my public library.  As for e-readers, i do not currently have one and don't see ever getting one as long as paper books are available.

Respected Contributor

Both some on kindle & some printed books.

Esteemed Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

Just curious.  I have a large library of books.  I am wondering if you all have started using a Kindle (or the like) to read new books.  

Hi @bonnielu, - Kindle for me, 99.9% of the time. I have enough books on my Kindle to last for at least 20 years if not longer. But yet I keep looking for more, and more, and more!

I have nothing against reading paper books but I enjoy the Kindle more because I can choose the font, the size of the type, the boldness of the type, and other features. I like that I can adjust the light, depending on where I am, and the fact that it barely has any weight to it.

Yup, I'm a Kindle fan all the way Heart

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett