Honored Contributor

Re: Are you still buying books or have you replaced them with a KINDLE?

I have 2 Kindles that I haven't been using.  Something has been drawing me back to books....either paperback or hard cover.  There's just something about holding that book.....

Respected Contributor

BOOKS!  One of my Sons bought me the "thing" for reading books.  Just can't do it.  I need the book in my hands.

Years ago, I would watch Dooney &Bourke shows, and when I saw a handbag I liked, first thing I thought was, will a Book fit in there?

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Regular Contributor

Use my Kindle almost exclusively. I subscribe to Kinde Unlimited so borrow almost everything for about $11 a month.  Have not been to the library in years.  My BIL still buys books and then gives them away after reading.  I think just another example of poor shopping on his part.  Another benefit is taking the Kindle while traveling.  No added weight or bulk in my luggage.

Esteemed Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

Just curious.  I have a large library of books.  I am wondering if you all have started using a Kindle (or the like) to read new books.  

@bonnielu

There is nothing like holding a book in your hands while reading <3 

(jmo)

Respected Contributor

I do both ... lately though it has been mostly books ..

Do you know you can borrow books from the library on your kindle .....

Respected Contributor

I prefer a real book and get all my books from 2 different libraries near my house.  I get an email once a week with new books that are coming in so it's easy to get on the wait list if there is something I want to read. 

Honored Contributor

Buy.  For multiple reasons and I do so love the feel of the book in my hand.  Then I find them good homes and if not I donate them to the library which sells them to raise more money for kids' programs.

I have books on my phone to read in doctors' offices waiting rooms.  That's it.  I use my Kindle Fire mostly to watch tv. 

Esteemed Contributor

Give me a book to leaf through the pages! Let me curl up and read. I don't want to look into a screen to read my beloved books . . . ever. I've lugged books across the globe and I'm sure at 70, I can continue to lug them around the US. Yes, i continue to purchase books to include in my bookcases throughout my home. Never felt comfortable in a house that was not filled with interesting literary reads (not weekly magazines and fluffy stuff). 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

I use the Kindle app on my iPad almost exclusively. I find that the print font is pretty small in hard copy books.

Honored Contributor

I always have my nose in a book.  The smell, the feel, turning the pages, the type set, the ink smell...

But about 8 - 10  years ago we realized we were drowning in books and did a major purge, it was tough.  Each of us kept what we loved, what we could not part with, and what we could not replace on line.

We still have two 9' x 8' book shelves, which we filled.  Since then I have purchased books only on Kindle, or read from the on line library.

I'm on my 3rd Kindle.  

I like the ease of moving around with, and the ability to travel with them.  Don't think I could give it up now.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras