Trusted Contributor

Re: Are you on Goodreads.com?

[ Edited ]
I joined it last year due to hearing it mentioned on these forums! I don't participate yet in a lot of the chats etc but I really wanted to join primarily to track the books I've read. I've really liked the Reading Challenge. It's fun tracking my books to try to hit my goal for books read in 2015.
Esteemed Contributor

I have an account on goodreads but I started several years ago with shelfari. My reading history for the past several years is on shelfari, and there's no way I'm going to start all over again with goodreads. That would be nuts!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Super Contributor

I think I still have an account at librarything.com and shelfari but both pale in comparison to Goodreads. I LOVE that place.

Trusted Contributor

Somebody here just pointed me in the direction of Goodreads earlier this month.  There were some historical fiction books I had read years ago I was trying to find again.  I had no luck with searching, but I stumbled across a forum called "What Was The Name of That Book" and one of the Historical Fiction readers recognized my description.  I'm heading back there now to report on the success of my quest.  I'm going to have to learn about all the things that are available on Goodreads now that I know it's there.  I didn't know it was associated with Amazon until I saw the post in this thread.

Respected Contributor

I've activated an account on Goodreads and I don't find it that easy to navigate.  I've listed books I've read and rated some also.  But when they recommend a book I'd like based on my history, I find that they are way off the mark.  So many of you love that site, I'm wondering what the main benefit is to you. 

Respected Contributor

I use goodreads mainly just for the reviews.   I add so many books I want to read that I really don't even look at the recommendations.   I sometimes enter their contests but I've never won anything yet.

Esteemed Contributor

I love Good Reads.  My go to for descriptions and ratings!

Respected Contributor

the one the I really hate about goodreads are the reviews with gifs.  I wish they had a choice in settings where you could turn them off.

Honored Contributor

@smokymtngal wrote:

I've activated an account on Goodreads and I don't find it that easy to navigate.  I've listed books I've read and rated some also.  But when they recommend a book I'd like based on my history, I find that they are way off the mark.  So many of you love that site, I'm wondering what the main benefit is to you. 

I use it mainly to keep track of books I want to read.

When I am in a bookstore (not that much) I will scan the ISBN with my phone and add it to my Want to REad list.

Also when I am reading one of the Book Blogs or looking at Amz I do the same.

Then I can request  the book from the library.  I don't really read the reviews that much.  Some of them are more like plot summarizations than reviews

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@smokymtngal wrote:

I use it mainly to keep track of books I want to read.

When I am in a bookstore (not that much) I will scan the ISBN with my phone and add it to my Want to REad list.

Also when I am reading one of the Book Blogs or looking at Amz I do the same.

Then I can request  the book from the library.  I don't really read the reviews that much.  Some of them are more like plot summarizations than reviews

I use it much the same way Jackthebear does. If I see a book mentioned on TV or hear about one on NPR, I add it to my Goodreads "Want to read" shelf.

I attend the Texas Book Festival every year and hear dozens of new and favorite authors talk about books and I create a Book Festival shelf for every year I attend and add the books I'm interested in to the list for that year.

I mentioned before, but the ladies in my book club are also on Goodreads and we use it to see each one is reading and compare our Want to Read lists to find out next books. Often one of us will add a book to her Want to Read list and the others will see that and add it, too. If several of us have the same book on our Want to Read list, it helps us pick out the next book we all read. I can also check out which books my friends have finished. I don't read most of the random reviews or reviews by people I don't know, but I have a friend with similar tastes and interests, I'll read her or his reviews. I have many friends who rate books with the stars and don't review them, but I know that if my friend Amber gives a book 5 stars, I might want to ask her what she liked about it and add it to my list.