Honored Contributor

Are you interested in reading?

Courtiers: Intrigue, Ambition, and the Power Players Behind the House of Windsor. I am looking forward to it. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Are you interested in reading?

Sounds good, @RetRN .   Any author who can make the stuff of history both interesting and accurate, has got my attention.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I have this book but haven't started reading yet. After reading and loving "Spare", by Prince Harry, I wanted to cleanse the palate for a bit.

Will get to this one this month. Being a royal watcher, I'm very interested in the history of courtiers (or the men in gray suits, as Diana called them) and the glimpse into the lives of royals from the perspective of those working for them. If you watch The Crown, several courtiers are highlighted. Looking forward to knowing more about theit experiences with the family!

Reviews for "Courtiers" are good. Here's an excerpt from one reader I found particularly interesting:

"The impression is created, whether by design or no, of a fusty, out-moded, backward-looking and deeply heirachical institution, characterised by raging snobbery at all levels, where rituals, such as addressing the royal as ‚Your Royal Highness‘ first in the morning and last thing at night and ‚Ma‘am‘ or ‚Sir‘ inbetween are rigorously observed. Members of the same family sometimes communicate with one another for extended periods solely ˋvia the apparatus around them. And the result', Low concludes, ˋis mistrust and division.' Courtiers whose faces suddenly no longer fit, such as Christopher Geidt, are ruthlessly discarded, his unblemished fifteen-year service counting for nothing."

Honored Contributor

@RetRN 

Who is the author?  

Honored Contributor

Valentine Low.

Honored Contributor

Just checked again today my library still as not ordered it.  I am next up on the waiting list for Tom Bower's book Revenge.  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I will read this book with an open mind as I'm interested in the long history.  The fact remains the author is not simply a respected journalist, he is also somewhat of a gossip monger but that aside, it does not mean he didn't do his historical (long-back) homework.  and If he writes factually, it should be a good read.