Honored Contributor

Anyone read The Lincoln Highway?

I just put a hold on this.  I had heard about this book earlier on Goodreads.  It's in 1954.  An 18 Year old, just released from prison for involuntary manslaughter plans to get his 8 years old only sibling to start all over again.  His mother & father are dead and the farm is in foreclosure.  Almost s soon as he's released, he discovers 2 former friendly bad guys have hidden away in the trunk with other ideas. This book is on the road novel and cover a span of 10 days.  Has excellent reviews on Amazon & Goodreads.

I wasn't aware of the Lincoln Highway, but it went across from New York to San Francisco and of the earliest highways ever.  Completed in 1919.

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone read The Lincoln Highway?

@songbird wrote:

I just put a hold on this.  I had heard about this book earlier on Goodreads.  It's in 1954.  An 18 Year old, just released from prison for involuntary manslaughter plans to get his 8 years old only sibling to start all over again.  His mother & father are dead and the farm is in foreclosure.  Almost s soon as he's released, he discovers 2 former friendly bad guys have hidden away in the trunk with other ideas. This book is on the road novel and cover a span of 10 days.  Has excellent reviews on Amazon & Goodreads.

I wasn't aware of the Lincoln Highway, but it went across from New York to San Francisco and of the earliest highways ever.  Completed in 1919.

@songbird  Like you, I have "Lincoln Highway" on hold. 

Have you read Amor Towles' other novels?  Both "Rules of Civility,"  and "A Gentleman in Moscow," are very enjoyable, in my opinion. 

I am looking forward to "Lincoln Highway."  According to one review: “[T]ransporting . . . a rollicking cross-country adventure, rife with unforgettable characters, vivid scenery and suspense that will keep readers flying through the pages.” 

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@songbird Sounds interesting....I'm going to add it to my book list!

The Lincoln Highway goes through my area in PA.

Respected Contributor

I might check out this book. Lincoln Highway is a major road in the southwest suburbs of Chicago.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@alliswell  I loved A Gentleman in Moscow!  I could not put that book down!  Fantastic book.  I didn't realise (I read the Moscow book years ago) that it was the same author of the Lincoln Highway book!

This book reminds me of an older book "The Moon Pinnace" another kind of road novel but this dated in 1948.  A young 20 year old guy (He got drafted during the last year of WW2 and out of the Army) decides to  hop on his Indian motorcyle and drive to California to find his missing father. I love that one too. The 16 year old girl that lives behind his house, is in love with him. The novel centers during the summerof  the guy searching for his father, and the girl in her last job before college at a resort.  

Respected Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@alliswell  I loved A Gentleman in Moscow!  I could not put that book down!  Fantastic book.  I didn't realise (I read the Moscow book years ago) that it was the same author of the Lincoln Highway book!

This book reminds me of an older book "The Moon Pinnace" another kind of road novel but this dated in 1948.  A young 20 year old guy (He got drafted during the last year of WW2 and out of the Army) decides to  hop on his Indian motorcyle and drive to California to find his missing father. I love that one too. The 16 year old girl that lives behind his house, is in love with him. The novel centers during the summerof  the guy searching for his father, and the girl in her last job before college at a resort.  

@songbird   "The Moon Pinnace," by Thomas Williams sounds similar - although I have not read that one.  After you read "Lincoln Highway," see if you find that it is comparable. 

P.S.  I loved A Gentleman in Moscow too, I wish Amor Towles would write a sequel.  I'd love to know what happens to ''the Gentleman" and "daughter."

Esteemed Contributor

So funny I am staying for the weekend on the Lincoln Highway. Sounds like a great book. This is a great drive for fall foliage colors. 

Honored Contributor

@alliswell wrote:

@songbird wrote:

@songbird   "The Moon Pinnace," by Thomas Williams sounds similar - although I have not read that one.  After you read "Lincoln Highway," see if you find that it is comparable. 

P.S.  I loved A Gentleman in Moscow too, I wish Amor Towles would write a sequel.  I'd love to know what happens to ''the Gentleman" and "daughter."

I love the 1940 ish life, the suberban morals, the customs, that I read in the Moon Pinnance.  I learned about Indian motorcycles.  They were the first motorcyles made in the U.S.  (Harley Davidson) came in the late 1950's. I think they still make them today.

Esteemed Contributor

I’m eagerly awaiting its release on Tuesday.
Trusted Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@alliswell wrote:

@songbird wrote:

I love the 1940 ish life, the suberban morals, the customs, that I read in the Moon Pinnance.  I learned about Indian motorcycles.  They were the first motorcyles made in the U.S.  (Harley Davidson) came in the late 1950's. I think they still make them today.

Yes!  Right here in Spirit Lake, Iowa!