Honored Contributor

Anyone read He Said, She said?

I just finished it and it was.....POW right in the gut.  I could not see what was coming.  Though I was patient.  The beginning is a little slow moving, but that was really deliberate.  I still don't know how the author (Erin Kelly) plotted this, but it was brilliant.  There wasn't anyway you could see ahead.  And all your guesses would turn out wrong.

The Basic premise is a young English couple travel around various parts of the world to witness Solar Eclipses.  You lean a lot about them as the story unfolds.  But something terrible happens when the young couple witness a brutal attack during a eclipse.  What follows is a series of threats that force the couple to go on the run, changing their names and identities.  But not everything is exactly as it appears, leaving the couple questioning what they actually saw.  Along the way, very ugly secrets arise threatening to destroy everything including their lives. 

This is a psychological thriller very much in the Ruth Rendell vein.  I've found a talented writer that can continue the genre. that Rendell left with her death.   It's going to be a film, and I wonder how they can control the story and throw the plots twists (several of them all unveiled one after the other).  Please don't think this is another Gone Girl.  Far from it.  But I'm anxious to read her other novels.  So has anyone read her this or her other books.  I'm most anxious to get started on one.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Anyone read He Said, She said?

I just finished Erin Kelly's The Burning Air.  The plot is brilliant and the characters are very interesting.  I had read about He Said, She Said but our library doesn't have it yet so went to The Burning Air instead.  I highly recommend to Ruth Rendell fans.  

I'm finding a few (very few) Ruth Rendell books that I haven't already read --mostly Inspector Wexford- but that will soon dry up.  Horrors!  I also saw a similarity to Erin Kelly.

Honored Contributor

@kathnern wrote:

I just finished Erin Kelly's The Burning Air.  The plot is brilliant and the characters are very interesting.  I had read about He Said, She Said but our library doesn't have it yet so went to The Burning Air instead.  I highly recommend to Ruth Rendell fans.  

I'm finding a few (very few) Ruth Rendell books that I haven't already read --mostly Inspector Wexford- but that will soon dry up.  Horrors!  I also saw a similarity to Erin Kelly.

Oh thank you!  She has several books out.  All of them are currently checked out of the library (all editions!!!!!)  So far all of her books are under that name.  Rendell of course also has novels under the Barbara Vine.   It's quite obvious this writer was influenced by her..  (Stephen King was too along with other countless writers...)  So far Kelly has continued the tradition of very clever written plots. 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Thank you for your review. I have this book on my nightstand for two months. I started it. 

It seemed long winded. I will pick it up again. 

I also have The Breakdown by BA Paris that I have yet to start. 

I follow St. Martins Press on Facebook. I got both books for free. 

They give out out free books a lot.