Trusted Contributor

Re: Any independent book stores in your area?

I LOVE amazon PRIME. Book arrives within 2 days. also,. knowing title of books you can read cust reviews. Most of our bookstores have closed due to the popularty of computers.Guess, I am getting older and  love having books within 2 days. Pure laziness on my part.

Respected Contributor

I'm in mid-Michigan. There are a few used book stores in the vicinity.

The best stores, though, are Schuler's Books (two in the Lansing area--about 90 minutes away). They have a great selection of new inventory--plus a huge variety of used books. (And they're all computerized, so one need only ask.)

Books obsess me!

Esteemed Contributor

No, sadly there are none left.  We have a Barnes & Noble a few miles away but I don't consider that independent. It's a chain, but at least it's a bookstore.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

I was in Redmond, WA today at a Farmer's Market and noticed a book store called Brick and Mortar Books.  I was buying fruit and vegetables but I am definitely going back when I have more time.  

Honored Contributor

No we've lost two of them a few years ago.  B&N has lots of customers when I drive by.

Honored Contributor

My good friend owns one. She stays in business by offering all kinds of events - most aimed at children, everything from reading clubs to fun events based on a particular author. She also has a few night book clubs and one day club that I know of. She finds local authors and sponsors book signings. She does sell a few knick knacks, but not many. And she doesn't have any used books. She offers a membership club (you get money off after buying a certain amount), and she frequently does 20% genre sales, when all mysteries are discounted, or all biographies, etc. People love her, and it's amazing to me how many customers she gets who refuse to either use a Nook or Kindle or patronize Barnes and Noble. But then she IS an amazing person! I have a Nook. I resisted for a long time, then my family gave me one for Christmas, and I'll admit I love it. But I still buy books from her once in a while too! 

In another state we had a Half-Price book store. I loved that! When we moved up here they had Atlantic Book Warehouse, but they didn't last long after we moved. I really enjoyed buying overstocked books there and found many holiday gifts (cookbooks and inspirational books). Can't do that any longer. Smiley Sad

There are a few other independent book sellers I'm aware of. Most have turned into gift stores, some even selling clothing, that have a book section in them. But that's how they survive. 

Esteemed Contributor

No book stores in my small town. There is a small one the next town over. We had a hastings and I miss it.

I don't think people read like they use to. I go to the liabrary and hardly any one is checking out books (I am), but the public computers are always full.

Valued Contributor

We have a couple of independent bookstores here.  I shop them when I can.  Since I travel all the time for business, I try to visit the independents in cities where I go.  I was thrilled to go to The Poisoned Pen in Scottsdale, where they have excellent staff and inventory.  It's sort of the the home bookstore of Diana Gabaldon and they keep a good supply of her signed books.  I've visited Powell Books in Portland.  Great place.

Honored Contributor

Amazon has two B&M book stores that I know of - one in University Village in Seattle and one that just opened in Bellevue Square in Bellevue, WA.  I haven't yet been to either one - I get my books at the library.  

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I was in Redmond, WA today at a Farmer's Market and noticed a book store called Brick and Mortar Books.  I was buying fruit and vegetables but I am definitely going back when I have more time.  

I just read about that store recently, @DiAnne, and plan to visit it soon with my g-daughter.