Regular Contributor

Any authors like Preston & Child??

I love all the Preston & Child books, especially those with Agent Pendergast. Does anybody have a suggestion for a similar author? TIA

Trusted Contributor

Re: Any authors like Preston & Child??

[ Edited ]

@Novemberbaby

IMG_1716.JPG

This is an older book but DH and most of our friends enjoyed it....DW

Respected Contributor

I love the Agent Pendergast series.  I wish there were more books like them.  I find them unique. 

@dancingwoman  thanks for mentioning Thunderhead.  I've never read any of their stand-alone books.  This one looks good. 

@Novemberbaby  I'm happy to see there is a new Agent Pendergast coming out Dec 31st, Verses For The Dead.

Super Contributor

I think David Balducci (sp?) is similar.  He tends to sweep you into the story before you know you're hooked.  He has several "series", but I have only read the Memory Man ones and Will Robie series.  He also wrote a several stand alone books one of which is Absolute Power.  Absolute Power was made into a movie starring Clint Eastwood years ago.

I also read all of the Pendergast books.  I have an early order into Amazon for the new one in December.  Have you tried any of their other books...Impact ior Blasphemy?  Those are good too.

Respected Contributor

@dancingwoman  thanks for recommending Thunderhead.  I just obtained it and found out the main character is Nora Kelly, who was later in several of the Pendergast books.  I'm looking forward to reading her back story.

Trusted Contributor

I really like Preston and Child's Pendergast series and am anxiously waiting for Verses of the Dead to come out at the end of December. But both authors write on their own as well and their stand-alone books are excellent. I've read all of the books now and have enjoyed each one.

Respected Contributor

Have you already read Michael Crichton's books? They've got suspense and some have a bit of that "is it science or magic" aspect. He's most famous for writing Jurassic Park and creating the TV series E.R., but if you like Preston and Child, you might like Michael Crichton's:

• The Andromeda Strain
  • Coma
  • Congo
  • Spehere
  • Prey

If you like Agent Pendergast's skills, some of the new Sherlock Holmes-inspired books might appeal to you. Some feature a woman Holmes, some other characters from the Holmes universe. One by Mark Frost features Sir Arthur Conan Doyle running into a man just like Sherlock Holmes and some people out of Holmes's timeline, like Bram Stoker and Madame Blavatsky.

• Moriarty, by Anthony Horowitz
  • Mycroft Holmes, by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Anna Waterhouse
  • A Study in Scarlett, by Sherry Thomas (Featuring Charlotte Holmes)
  • The List of Seven, by Mark Frost

If you like the occult or strange artifact aspect of the Pendergast books, you might like:

• The Club Dumas, by Arturo Pérez-Reverte
  • Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, by Robin Sloan
  • Carter & Lovecraft, by Jonathan L. Howard
  • Lovecraft Country, by Matt Ruff
  • The Dante Club, by Matthew Pearl
  • The List of Seven, by Mark Frost (listed again, because it has Doyle and the occult)
Respected Contributor

@Alison Wonderland  thanks for the list.  I read Moriarty and Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore.   I plan to read Mycroft Holmes and I'll have to check out some of the others you've mentioned.