Respected Contributor

Re: Any Books You Just Couldn't Finish??

I  do not know why but on most books I get inpatient and rush threw the end of the book.  But the big one was cryptonomicon.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, it just happened.  It's a good book, but I listen to audiobooks at work and I knew I would get visibly upset.  Title is ETCHED IN SAND and it is a TRUE story about siblings whose mother is downright evil. Perhaps I'll get the book and read it, but sometimes it's easier to pretend this dysfunctional stuff only happens in fiction.

Respected Contributor

@Caligurll wrote:

The last one I couldn't finish was Gone Girl.  I enjoyed about the first half or so of it, then it just went in a different direction.  Don't remember that much about it now, but also had no desire to see the movie either.

Oh how I wish I hadn't finished it.   I hated it but kept reading thinking that surely these characters would turn out to be normal and likeable but NOOOOO, they didn't.   

There have been books I didn't finish but I guess they were so bad that I don't even remember the titles.

Esteemed Contributor

There were several books in Oprah's book club that I couldn't finish.....we just didn't have the same taste in books I guess....

Honored Contributor

many 

don't bother past the first chapter if I don't like it, 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The last book in the Twilight series: Breaking Dawn.

I read the others and although increasingly disenchanted  with the plot, kept slogging on. Read about a third of BD, hit a roadblock and I just couldn't finish it.  Never even been tempted to go back to it.

This is one of the few books I have ever abandoned.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I couldn't get into All The Light We Cannot See let alone finish it.  I tried 3 or 4 times - just couldn't do it. Another one was The Underground Railroad - could not stand the writing style.   A more recent one was Into The Water. Just couldn't keep track of all the characters - just too many from the get-go.  Another was Little Deaths - didn't care for the main character (based on a true story) and subject matter just too disturbing. 

I'm not fond of this new style of writing with so many characters and the writing being from the point of view of that character.  Too confusing.  

Sorry to hear about The Lying Game - that's my next book - I loved Ruth Ware's other books.

Even with movies if I don't like the movie after 30 minutes or so I can't be bothered wasting my time.  I have even left movie theaters on a few occasions because I hated the movie.  

Super Contributor

LIncoln on the Bardo.  I tried hard copy & audio & I still couldn't figure out what was going on.  I have a 50 or so page limit.  If it doesn't capture my attention, back to the library it goes.  

Trusted Contributor

If it doesn't grab me, I quit at 100 pages in.  Life is way too short.

The latest exception was Girl on a Train.  I did not like it, put it away, went back to it after a month or so and loved it.  

Trusted Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@Caligurll wrote:

The last one I couldn't finish was Gone Girl.  I enjoyed about the first half or so of it, then it just went in a different direction.  Don't remember that much about it now, but also had no desire to see the movie either.

Oh how I wish I hadn't finished it.   I hated it but kept reading thinking that surely these characters would turn out to be normal and likeable but NOOOOO, they didn't.   

There have been books I didn't finish but I guess they were so bad that I don't even remember the titles.

I loved the film, could not get into the book.