Respected Contributor

Re: Any Books You Just Couldn't Finish??

I couldn't finish All the Light We Cannot See.  Just could not get through it.  My book club loved it but I could only read about one third of it and gave up. 

Honored Contributor

IMO, it's the author's responsibility to write in a way that grabs my interest ... almost immediately.  If I'm not "into" the book by page 50, I move on to something more interesting.  IMO, the author failed ... not me.

The only exception to this is when I'm reading something with a lot of foundation to be laid ... like a historical novel, for instance.  Nevertheless, if I'm not into the story by page 100, I move on.

Not every author's writing style "speaks to me", and life is too short to be struggling to hang in there, hoping the book gets interesting soon.    

Does anyone else feel this way?

Trusted Contributor

I remember trying to read a book by Patricia Cornwell - can't remember the title now - but it was just too gory for my taste. It was about a medical examiner. I know her books are very, very popular and she has a huge following, but it was simply not my cup of tea so I didn't finish it. 

There have been others, too, that haven't grabbed me so I just set them aside. When I was right out of college I can remember feeling a bit guilty if I didn't finish a book - almost like I was cheating in some way, lol! But I got over that!

Trusted Contributor

@KentuckyWomanI know it got great reviews, but after reading the summary, I never had a desire to read it.  

Trusted Contributor

@Gardengal55 wrote:

I have loved to read since elementary school.  I enjoy all genres but mainly love mystery/suspense/science fiction.  Have read the vast majority of Stephen King except the DARK TOWER series,  and THE BLACK HOUSE written I believe with Peter Straub.  The DT did not interest me at all and the BH I tried 4 times to read and just couldn't; for some strange reason it did not hold my interest.

THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN I struggled with.  Was interesting in the beginning, dragged for me in the middle then finally picked up at the end.  Have not seen the movie yet.

I really try to finish whatever book I'm reading, I feel like a failure if I don't...LOL.  And I NEVER reread a book.  I can see a movie 25 times, but can't reread a book.

How about you?

Yes, anything by Robert Galbraith.  Those books are entirely too wordy, too lengthy.  I just don't want to devote that much time reading mysteries that should be 100 pages shorter.  

Respected Contributor

I tried to read "Atlas Shrugged" years ago, and couldn't make it past the second chapter...it just didn't grab and hold my attention.  I did watch the movie version that came out a few years ago and I enjoyed the story line...so maybe I'll try it again this winter.  I felt badly that I couldn't get into it...I really wanted to like it Smiley Happy    

Honored Contributor

Lately, I gave up of the Room. It just annoyed me and despite glowing reviews I decided to ditch it. Life's too short to commit to a book that just isn't doing it!  I tend to read 50 pages and then if I'm ambivalent I'll read a little more and see, but if I just outright dislike it, bye-bye. 

I had a hard time finishing All the Light We Cannot See.  I stopped for awhile and then ran out of content so I tried it again and it was worth it.  I did think about it after I finished it so that's always a good sign.  Very interesting delving into the two main characters. 

I could not get vey very far in the Nightingale either.  It seems a pity because I've heard such good things about it.  Maybe I'll return to it at some point but I'm not in a rush. 

Lastly, I did not finish I See You by Clare Macintosh.  It just wasn't grabbing me enough. 

What did you all all think of these books if you read them?  Should I consider revisiting them at some point?  There are just so many books and I only have time to read 2 books a month. Sometimes 3. 

Honored Contributor

Most people are shocked but I tried three times to finish Unbroken and still did not make it even half way through.  After all these years it is still in pile to read close to my couch but I do not see it happening anytime soon.  Nor did I see the movie. 

Maybe some day.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh my goodness, yes! I can't think of anything in particular at the moment,  but I have no problem pulling that bookmark if I'm not lovin' it. 

Side note:  I was at a lecture a few years ago and was sitting next to a librarian from a local university. We were talking about our love of books and I confessed that I often don't finish books that I can't relate/get into. She basically told me that there are too many good books in the world to read one that you don't like. She also said that whenever someone like me asks for advice about finishing a book or not, she tells them to consider whatever age they are and if they're reading a book and aren't engrossed/involved in the story by the time they reach page number that relates to their age (so for me, that's 57), then pull the bookmark and don't look back! 

Honored Contributor

Once it is clear to me that I have no desire to finish a book, I'll read the last chapter and call it quits.