Regular Contributor

Any Books You Just Couldn't Finish??

I have loved to read since elementary school.  I enjoy all genres but mainly love mystery/suspense/science fiction.  Have read the vast majority of Stephen King except the DARK TOWER series,  and THE BLACK HOUSE written I believe with Peter Straub.  The DT did not interest me at all and the BH I tried 4 times to read and just couldn't; for some strange reason it did not hold my interest.

THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN I struggled with.  Was interesting in the beginning, dragged for me in the middle then finally picked up at the end.  Have not seen the movie yet.

I really try to finish whatever book I'm reading, I feel like a failure if I don't...LOL.  And I NEVER reread a book.  I can see a movie 25 times, but can't reread a book.

How about you?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Any Books You Just Couldn't Finish??

[ Edited ]

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.  Audio download, the reader did a GREAT job with accents.  I was better than halfway through and realized...I didn't care...about any of it.  Although I WOULD like to meet a man like Jaime.Woman Wink  I love time travel stories and big books, so I'm not sure why I didn't care for this one.  Maybe I'll give it another chance.

Another was Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (son of Stephen King).  Again, better than halfway through and it was just too weird, bordering on stupid. 

I almost never reread a book.  In fact I can't think of any I HAVE reread.

I used to want to finish any book I started but realized life is short and there are lots of good books waiting.

Good topic.  Thanks for starting it.

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

Occasionally.  Life's just to short to read a book I don't enjoy.  I joined a book club at my local library once, and found myself forcing myself to finish the book selections in time for the meetings -- the choices just did not interest me.  I dropped the book club.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

I could not finish The Shining!  TOO SCARY!!!  And I had aready seen the movie!

Just too much for me (at the time I was about 22y/o)

The only book I have ever reread was THE STAND.  Second greatest book ever!!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Esteemed Contributor

I don't read as much as many on this board.

I will try very hard to finish any audible book, even if it's difficult to do. The last one, I increased the speed to get through.

I'm sure there are other books I never finished reading, but the one I specifically recall is Stephen Kings's book about the time traveler trying to stop Kennedy's assasination. I actually remember liking the book and am unsure why I stopped. But, once I did, I just couldn't pick it back up again.

I also thought I finished "Room", but truly don't remember reading what happened in the movie, so I wonder if I never finished that either!!LOL
Super Contributor

"All Quiet on the Western Front" - too upsetting

I finished "The Shining" but had nightmares for quite awhile. Didn't help that I finished reading it in Colorado!!!

Honored Contributor

I always finish books that I start, however there is one exception. I just couldn't finish Reconstructing Amelia.....I will try to re-read it at a later date, but just could not get into it......I re-read a lot of books, love doing that even though I know the storyline, in a lot of cases I re-read them much later on like years and years down the road, so if you read as much as I do, you don't forget them, but you forget the little things that happen in them.....I re-watch movies that I really love as well. 

Honored Contributor

For me there are to many books out there to force myself to finish one I don't like. I picked one up a few months ago and within three chapters there were so many different characters  I almost got a pen to write them down and sort out. Came to my senses and returned it to the library. I'll give a book a few chapters and if I'm not drawn in, back it goes.

Trusted Contributor

oh gosh yes. like you, i've loved books since i was a child. i always had one and mom bought me whatever i chose. if a book doesn't hold my interest from the start, or it takes me days to pick it up again, then i just ditch it. just recently i couldn't finish 2 of jodi piccoult's books. it didn't hold my interest very long. 

i never reread a book either, nor watch a movie more than once. 

Super Contributor

More than I care to admit!