Regular Contributor

“And Ladies of the Club”

Has anyone read this, and what did you think?  It is an older book, and at over 1100 pages ( SMALL print pages) quite a commitment. I confess I started it and let it go a couple of times and finally decided I'd dive in or pass it on since it took up so much space. Really glad I did; it's a wonderful generational story spanning from 1868 to 1932 in a small town in Ohio. Not gonna lie, when they started getting to the great-grand children generation no way could I remember who belonged to who, but it actually didn't matter since the original characters were still the main interest. There is a huge amount of history...civil war, politics, medicine , industry, all interwoven in the families stories. Of course there's also the everyday joy, sorrow and drama of family life. Some of the political process and elections were a little tedious but can fast read through most of that and still know the story line. I actually was sad when it was (finally)finished and felt like I had lost family members, of at least, like they had moved way far away.....dare you to not get a little teary at the end....As I said, a commitment but so worth if you like a book that unfurls slowly and so touchingly. 

Valued Contributor

Re: “And Ladies of the Club”

[ Edited ]

I love that book. My mom read it back in the 80s, and I remember she kept a family tree of all the characters. So when I decided to read it about a year ago I did the same thing, although I'm sure you could find a list of characters online now. 

I didn't want that book to end, either!

Helen Hooven Santmyer had such an interesting life. She started this book in her 30s but wrote most of it in her 80s. She attended Wellesley and became involved in women's rights. 

eta, you're right, it contained a lot of historical information, so I learned some history while reading it. I had to review the 15th and 27th Amendments and the Salary Grab Act. It's a fascinating read!

Regular Contributor

Ruby Laine: so glad you liked it too. One of those reviewer describe as "sprawling", right?

Esteemed Contributor

Read it many years ago. One of my favorite books. 

Keepin' it real.
Super Contributor

I read it in 1985.  It took me forever to get into the book, but when I did, I did not want it to end.  When I finished it, it was as if I moved away from friends.  A great book.

Valued Contributor

This is a fantastic book!  I am still recommending it to friends - I stopped reading fiction years ago, but this is one book I will never get rid of -