Honored Contributor

An Atlas of Extinct Countries

For your viewing pleasure:  An Atlas of Extinct Countries by Gideon Defoe.  Yes, this is non fiction.  A book about countries that once existed

Countries die. Sometimes it's murder, sometimes it's by accident, and sometimes it's because they were so ludicrous they didnt deserve to exist in the first place. Occasionally they explode violently. A few slip away almost unnoticed. Often the cause of death is either 'got too greedy' or 'Napoleon turned up'. Now and then they just hold a referendum and vote themselves out of existence.

This is an atlas of 48 nations that fell off the map. The polite way of writing an obituary is: dwell on the good bits, gloss over the embarrassing stuff. This book refuses to do so, because these dead nations are so full of schemers, racists, and con men that it's impossible to skip the embarrassing stuff"

This looks cool to me, so I've ordered it from out library. It's on order, so I made a request.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: An Atlas of Extinct Countries

Are there any excintct countries where they went extinct because its citizens just got really dumb & ignorant, had no interest in the "truth," and became hostile to democracy? Just curious. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the mention.  Looks interesting and I will check it out.

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Are there any excintct countries where they went extinct because its citizens just got really dumb & ignorant, had no interest in the "truth," and became hostile to democracy? Just curious. 

@Goldengate8361 

I'm guessing that they were probably already that way.

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

For your viewing pleasure:  An Atlas of Extinct Countries by Gideon Defoe.  Yes, this is non fiction.  A book about countries that once existed

Countries die. Sometimes it's murder, sometimes it's by accident, and sometimes it's because they were so ludicrous they didnt deserve to exist in the first place. Occasionally they explode violently. A few slip away almost unnoticed. Often the cause of death is either 'got too greedy' or 'Napoleon turned up'. Now and then they just hold a referendum and vote themselves out of existence.

This is an atlas of 48 nations that fell off the map. The polite way of writing an obituary is: dwell on the good bits, gloss over the embarrassing stuff. This book refuses to do so, because these dead nations are so full of schemers, racists, and con men that it's impossible to skip the embarrassing stuff"

This looks cool to me, so I've ordered it from out library. It's on order, so I made a request.

@songbird 

Is this a new book?   Have you read it yet?  Sounds interesting.

Honored Contributor

Just ordered it for Hubbs. He loves maps and Atlas' Thanks.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

Hubbs is a maps lover. Bought this book for him. We received it yesterday. He just loves it ! Thanks for the recommendation!!

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Regular Contributor

Based on your recommendation, I decided to give this book a try.  I just finished it.  I LOVED it!  I learned a lot and I laughed a lot!

Thanks so much for the great heads up about this book!