Respected Contributor

Amazon rep's favorite Kindle is the Keyboard

I had a long conversation today with "Samuel" at Amazon to help me with syncing my Fire 7 to my Kindle Keyboard.   During the conversation he said he has several Kindle e-readers and he keeps going back to his Keyboard.  I do, also.  It is so comfortable to hold in one hand.  ( My Kindle Fire 7 is uncomfortable to hold with one hand.)  I love my Keyboard even though it is older and doesn't have a back light.  I think the only ones I could buy now are refurbished ones.

Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon rep's favorite Kindle is the Keyboard

Interesting.  I have a Kindle Fire also and with its cover it is way too heavy to entice me to use it much.  I definitely never carry it with me just to have something to read - any paperback is easier to handle.

I have decided from my experience that I actually do not even need a tablet given the way I live.  My next purchase from Amazon is likely to be a dedicated reader.

Also interesting that Samuel would be touting a product available only refurbished.  Sounds like true love!

Esteemed Contributor

@Big Sister wrote:

I had a long conversation today with "Samuel" at Amazon to help me with syncing my Fire 7 to my Kindle Keyboard.   During the conversation he said he has several Kindle e-readers and he keeps going back to his Keyboard.  I do, also.  It is so comfortable to hold in one hand.  ( My Kindle Fire 7 is uncomfortable to hold with one hand.)  I love my Keyboard even though it is older and doesn't have a back light.  I think the only ones I could buy now are refurbished ones.

Hi @Big Sister I do believe you and I got our Keyboards at the same time, as we had many a discussion about them. I really loved mine a lot, although once I got the Paperwhite, the Keyboard has been sitting in its case patiently waiting for me to take her out and use her. I think I'm going to do just that. I'll charge her up and take her out for a spin!

What I love most about it is the way the pages turn with the tabs on both sides, so you can go back a page by even if you're holding it on the right side. The Paperwhite doesn't really make me happy when it comes to page turning. Otherwise, I do love the back light and that I can look up words in the dictionary just by highlighting the word. I guess they all have their pros and cons.

It's nice that Samuel was honest with you about his favorite being the Keyboard. Nice guy!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi, Sunala, yes I recall "talking" to you about our new Keyboards.  If and when mine dies, I will either get a refurbished one or get the Voyage which also gives you a choice of turning the page from the tabs on each side of the frame or swiping the page.  I do prefer the turn tabs.  But the Voyage also has the back light which I think I would like.

Respected Contributor

I like the keyboards myself.   I have DX's  and an Oasis. Of course the fires are not dedicated ereaders, they function more like an IPad.   Games, internet, and other stuff.  I have an IPad that I do read on, but nothing is better than e-ink readers.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

Wow, really? I hate the Keyboard. I think it had some good features, but using the keyboard was so clunky and I much prefer the touch screens on the Paperwhite and the Voyage. I did like the page flip buttons on the sides of the Keyboard.

I just gave my Keyboard away to a friend and still have a Paperwhite and a Voyage. Of the three, I find myself liking the Paperwhite the best, even though I have the second generation and the Voyage has better screen resolution. When friends ask me which they should get, I recommend the Paperwhite over the Voyage and definitely over the overpriced Oasis.

Contributor

My first Kindle was a 3G Keyboard Kindle.  With its leather case that opens like a book, it was a bit heavy, but still fit in most purses.  My husband didn't like the click, click of the page tab, when I read in bed.  He bought me the new Kindle Voyager with the Origami cover.  It is very lighweight, has a backlight and touch page turning.  Love it!  I use my Voyager for novel reading.  I still use the Keyboard Kindle for classics and reference books.  The best thing about the Kindle is the text size adjustment.  I wear glasses and many books are printed with small text that is hard to read.  I even borrow most books from my library online just so I can adjust the text size.  Luckily my library has a large print book selection too. 

Esteemed Contributor

@debic wrote:

I like the keyboards myself.   I have DX's  and an Oasis. Of course the fires are not dedicated ereaders, they function more like an IPad.   Games, internet, and other stuff.  I have an IPad that I do read on, but nothing is better than e-ink readers.

@debic I 100% agree with you. I tried reading on a Fire and it was terrible. Same with trying to read on my iPhone. Way too small print for me.

When I was young, I could easily read a paperback book in the half-darkness. Now that my eyes are getting "tired," I need to enhance whatever I can to be able to read comfortably. I don't need Large Print yet, but I've found the perfect size font on my Paperwhite for reading comfortably.

I love my Kindle!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I've never used any reader other than my Paperwhite but I am happy with it.