Respected Contributor

Amazon rep's favorite Kindle is the Keyboard

I had a long conversation today with "Samuel" at Amazon to help me with syncing my Fire 7 to my Kindle Keyboard.   During the conversation he said he has several Kindle e-readers and he keeps going back to his Keyboard.  I do, also.  It is so comfortable to hold in one hand.  ( My Kindle Fire 7 is uncomfortable to hold with one hand.)  I love my Keyboard even though it is older and doesn't have a back light.  I think the only ones I could buy now are refurbished ones.

Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon rep's favorite Kindle is the Keyboard

Interesting.  I have a Kindle Fire also and with its cover it is way too heavy to entice me to use it much.  I definitely never carry it with me just to have something to read - any paperback is easier to handle.

I have decided from my experience that I actually do not even need a tablet given the way I live.  My next purchase from Amazon is likely to be a dedicated reader.

Also interesting that Samuel would be touting a product available only refurbished.  Sounds like true love!

Esteemed Contributor

@Big Sister wrote:

I had a long conversation today with "Samuel" at Amazon to help me with syncing my Fire 7 to my Kindle Keyboard.   During the conversation he said he has several Kindle e-readers and he keeps going back to his Keyboard.  I do, also.  It is so comfortable to hold in one hand.  ( My Kindle Fire 7 is uncomfortable to hold with one hand.)  I love my Keyboard even though it is older and doesn't have a back light.  I think the only ones I could buy now are refurbished ones.

Hi @Big Sister I do believe you and I got our Keyboards at the same time, as we had many a discussion about them. I really loved mine a lot, although once I got the Paperwhite, the Keyboard has been sitting in its case patiently waiting for me to take her out and use her. I think I'm going to do just that. I'll charge her up and take her out for a spin!

What I love most about it is the way the pages turn with the tabs on both sides, so you can go back a page by even if you're holding it on the right side. The Paperwhite doesn't really make me happy when it comes to page turning. Otherwise, I do love the back light and that I can look up words in the dictionary just by highlighting the word. I guess they all have their pros and cons.

It's nice that Samuel was honest with you about his favorite being the Keyboard. Nice guy!

The most wasted day of all is that on which we have not laughed.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi, Sunala, yes I recall "talking" to you about our new Keyboards.  If and when mine dies, I will either get a refurbished one or get the Voyage which also gives you a choice of turning the page from the tabs on each side of the frame or swiping the page.  I do prefer the turn tabs.  But the Voyage also has the back light which I think I would like.

Respected Contributor

I like the keyboards myself.   I have DX's  and an Oasis. Of course the fires are not dedicated ereaders, they function more like an IPad.   Games, internet, and other stuff.  I have an IPad that I do read on, but nothing is better than e-ink readers.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Wow, really? I hate the Keyboard. I think it had some good features, but using the keyboard was so clunky and I much prefer the touch screens on the Paperwhite and the Voyage. I did like the page flip buttons on the sides of the Keyboard.

I just gave my Keyboard away to a friend and still have a Paperwhite and a Voyage. Of the three, I find myself liking the Paperwhite the best, even though I have the second generation and the Voyage has better screen resolution. When friends ask me which they should get, I recommend the Paperwhite over the Voyage and definitely over the overpriced Oasis.

Contributor

My first Kindle was a 3G Keyboard Kindle.  With its leather case that opens like a book, it was a bit heavy, but still fit in most purses.  My husband didn't like the click, click of the page tab, when I read in bed.  He bought me the new Kindle Voyager with the Origami cover.  It is very lighweight, has a backlight and touch page turning.  Love it!  I use my Voyager for novel reading.  I still use the Keyboard Kindle for classics and reference books.  The best thing about the Kindle is the text size adjustment.  I wear glasses and many books are printed with small text that is hard to read.  I even borrow most books from my library online just so I can adjust the text size.  Luckily my library has a large print book selection too. 

Esteemed Contributor

@debic wrote:

I like the keyboards myself.   I have DX's  and an Oasis. Of course the fires are not dedicated ereaders, they function more like an IPad.   Games, internet, and other stuff.  I have an IPad that I do read on, but nothing is better than e-ink readers.

@debic I 100% agree with you. I tried reading on a Fire and it was terrible. Same with trying to read on my iPhone. Way too small print for me.

When I was young, I could easily read a paperback book in the half-darkness. Now that my eyes are getting "tired," I need to enhance whatever I can to be able to read comfortably. I don't need Large Print yet, but I've found the perfect size font on my Paperwhite for reading comfortably.

I love my Kindle!

The most wasted day of all is that on which we have not laughed.

Honored Contributor

I've never used any reader other than my Paperwhite but I am happy with it.