Respected Contributor

Re: AUGUST 2023 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

Just finished The Truth About The Accident, Nicole Trope.  It is about a marriage where the husband is having serial affairs and how the wife deals with it.  He ends up in an accident leaving the reader wondering which one caused his life threatening injuries.  Goodreads rates it 3.96/5.  I give it 3/5.  Not a deep book but sometimes that is not what you are looking for.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm reading "The Paris Wife" by Paula McLain. It's about Ernest Hemingway and his wife Hadley. I'm not a fan of Hemingway's writing, but find this book interesting. McLain brings the characters to life, and her descriptions of post war Europe are such that I can picture the scenes in my mind.  I plan to check other books by this author. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Tom Lake, by Ann Patchett.   A mother tells of her time as an aspiring actress to her three young daughters while working on the family cherry orchard.  The girls thought they knew everything about their Mom and Dad the "boring" but simple and loving life they had together.

This book had some chapters that kept me turning the page but then just as many pages I was planning my grocery list ect.... in my mind.  I would not call it great but just a decent read.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@icezeus @beckyb1012 @teganslaw @Lilysmom1 @Janey2 

Just finished "Prople Like Her" by Ellery Lloyd for a book club.

oh how awful. 

The reviews state that this book should come with "trigger warnings" and I agree.

Don't know how the leaders of this book club decided on this one. It will be interesting to find out. 

Note: "People Like Her" refers to obtaining "likes" on social media.

❌🛑 ☠️ 

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Super Contributor

Just finished listing to the audio version of "The Book Woman's Daughter" by Kim Michele Richardson.  I especially enjoyed the "reader's voice, and would recommend this second book by Richardson which speaks of the hard life of women in the Kentucky mountains during the 40's and 50's.  

Honored Contributor

I just finished " Bad Summer People," by Emma Rosenblum. Summer in a beach community and none of these people are not especially good, but are any of them capable of murder ?  It's an enjoyable read.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

Finished Sara Novic's True Biz yesterday.  Im not a big YA reader but the subject of a deaf school interested me and the illustrations were really good and I learned a lot. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished Columbine by Dave Cullen.  I thought the book was quite well done including analyzing the two teenagers who were responsible for the carnage at the end of recounting the story.  It is a lengthy book.  Sad to know that these kinds of attacks are more common today than in 1999.

Respected Contributor

Just finished None of This is True, Lisa Jewel.  

Have been down with the flu so reading more than normal.  This book was really good.  It didn't grab me at first but as it evolved I was drawn in.

Full of twists and turns.  4.5/5

@CANDLEQUEEN , have you read this one?  

Esteemed Contributor

I finished listening to THE ONLY ONE LEFT by Riley Sager. I liked it quite a bit - I did not figure out the ending. Speaking of which, the ending was what I had the most issue with.  Not the culmination of the whodunnit, but what happens next. 

Holding until Tuesday for a new release from an author that surprised me with her debut a few years ago.  Am looking forward to her next effort.