Esteemed Contributor

Re: AUGUST 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

@icezeus wrote:

@shoesnbags 

First of all welcome. Secondly it does not matter if a book has been mentioned or not. 

Please continue to post and share what you are reading, your thoughts on the book and future books that you might want to read.

Myself and others gather a lot of ideas from this thread by viewing what others have enjoyed.

Thank you @icezeus !

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

I finished Neighbors, by Danielle Steel, it was really good! I really enjoyed reading one of her books after so long! It had enough intrigue, and romance to keep my interest and was a very quick read! I will definitely pick up some more of her later books that I haven't read...

I am now starting THE GOOD SISTER by Sally Hepworth.....rated quite high on Goodreads!

Respected Contributor

I really thought that Viola was a woman.

Respected Contributor

I'm having a hard time getting through Hollywood Ending: Harvey Weinstein and the Culture of Silence

by Ken Auletta.  Well written but HW was such a disgusting pig, a real workplace tyrant that way too many people gave him wide berth and pretended to not see him for what he was.  It is shocking what people will tolerate for power and money, speaking of the sycophants around him or those who tolerated for survival. His victims were barely acknowledged as human in his world, just things to be used and abused.

Respected Contributor

I am reading The 6:20 Man by David Baldacci.  Almost done.  Pretty good but not great. I am finding it a bit long.  LM

Honored Contributor

Sugar And Salt, by Susan Wiggs.  A Texas woman finds herself in San Francisco and dreams of taking her barbecue food truck to a store front.  While looking at three choices she settles on the one building that shares a kitchen in the middle of her soon to be Salt barbecue and their Sugar bakery.  Throw in the middle aged man of the woman who owns the bakery and there is definitely a appetizing combination of sugar and salt.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

Just finished Never Coming Home by Hannah Mary McKinnon, this was a fast read due to the fact it had so much going on.  To sum it up a husband hires a hit man on the dark web to have his wife killed.  But when strange things start to happen to the husband and his home, he becomes obsessed to find out hat is going on, the ending is EPIC!

Esteemed Contributor

I thought the ending to "Never Coming Home" was unbelievable. The book was good and it didn't spoil things for me, but I had to stretch my imagination about the ending. 

It still was a good mystery.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finished Kitchen Boy by Sanford Phippen.  It was about a teenage boy during the 1960s who worked in a small hotel in Maine.  I enjoyed the characters and the setting. 

I don't read enough books about males and by male authors so it was a refreshing change for me.

Trusted Contributor

I read two very good books recently:

THE FAVOR by Nora Murphy - this was a thriller recommended by @smoky22 earlier in the summer, and I enjoyed it.  It is a twist on the Strangers on a Train theme.

WHERE THE SKY BEGINS by Rhys Bowen - a stand-alone novel of life in London during WWII.  Very good historical fiction.

Next up is Laura Child's A DARK AND STORMY TEA, the latest in her Charleston Teashop mystery series.