Respected Contributor

Re: AUGUST 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

Finished another book in 2 days (not that I'm bragging but lately the books I've been reading have been fast and kept my interest) was Slow Burn by Brenda Jackson.  This is my first book by her (I won from an author).  It was a little too romance-y and too much sex for my liking.  I enjoy sex in books but this was a little bit too much for me.

Honored Contributor

Meant To Be, by Emily Griffin.  Book based on the live and love of John Kennedy, Jr. and Carolyn Bessette.  I was struck while reading that this seem to have much of their story including a trip on a small plane toward the end of the book.  Reading the Author's Notes at the end Emily talks of her own mother being such a fan of JFK and Jackie and showing Emily the 1953 Life magazine cover she still had.  Emily wanted to tell their story through Joseph Kingsly, III and Cate.  Loved the fast read book.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Regular Contributor

@beckyb1012 - I loved that book as well!  Such a shame that JFK Jr. and Carolyn Bessette-Kennedy died so young and so tragically.  Emily Giffin is one of my favorite authors.  Check out all of her earlier books if you haven't already done so!  Her stories are just wonderful.

Respected Contributor

I love French Braid by Anne Tyler!

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

Just finished My husband's Daughter by Emma Robinson, very good book!  How would you react when your husband's former girlfriend shows up at your front door with a 4 year old child, telling him he is the father, which he claims he never knew, and asks can they stay with them as she lost her lease and has no place to go!  This is where the book really speeds up, hard to put it down!

@CareBears I just read this a couple of weeks ago-really good and some surprises along the way..

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finished Ruth Hogan's Queenie Malone's Paradise Hotel.  Another fast read in 2 days.  This will probably be my last book in August.

Regular Contributor

Ann Hood's Fly Girl details her adventures as a TWA flight attendant before becoming a popular author.  It was so nice to read about/remember the "glamorous" days of flying on larger, more comfortable planes, delicious meals, and stellar in-flight service.  An interesting, delightful read!!!

Trusted Contributor

Yesterday I finished Black Dog by Stuart Woods.  This is the new book in the Stone Barrington series.  Yes, I still read this series.  I would not spend money on his books, but I can get them from my public library.  This book had a simpler plot, not as much travel, and not quite as much playboy s*x.  Stone's secretary inherits a lot of money and is now richer than Stone.  But the inheritance comes with trouble from the the black sheep of the family.  He's so bad that he's called a black dog instead.  It was a fast read and I recommend it to those who like his books.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Oh William, by Elizabeth Strout.  Continuation of Lucy Barton.  William and Lucy are divorced and have remarried.   Loss of new spouses bring them together but not "together".  A new book is coming soon to continue the story of Lucy.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I just finished A Canticle for Leibowitz by  Walter M. Miller, Jr.   It's an "older" book ... written in 1959.  

Recently read (for a second time) Lord of the World (even older - written 1907), then read Canticle .... now reading The Last Librarian (written 2015).

I'm stuck in post-apocalyptic mode!