Esteemed Contributor

Re: AUGUST 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

I'm reading "Gods of Jade and Shadow" by Silvia Moreno-Garcia. 

The book takes place in Mexico during the Jazz Age. Casiopea lives a sheltered life, taking care of her grandfather. She opens a chest belonging to her grandfather and releases Hun-Kame, a Mayan god of death who needs her help to restore his throne from his brother. 

The journey to recover his throne takes them through various cities in Mexico and parts of California.I find the book interesting as it depicts different Mayan legends. I don't know how accurate the legends are, but it makes for compelling reading. 

Recommended for those who like fantasy and legends of various cultures. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finished reading Beach House Summer by Sarah Morgan. I enjoyed this book very much.  It is much deeper than I had thought it would be!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finished 'What Could Be Saved' by Liese O'Halloran Schwarz,

Exquisitely-written and immersive, highly recommend.

(official summary):

Washington, DC, 2019: Laura Preston is a reclusive artist at odds with her older sister Bea as their elegant, formidable mother slowly slides into dementia. When a stranger contacts Laura claiming to be her brother who disappeared forty years earlier when the family lived in Bangkok, Laura ignores Bea’s warnings of a scam and flies to Thailand to see if it can be true. But meeting him in person leads to more questions than answers.

Bangkok, 1972: Genevieve and Robert Preston live in a beautiful house behind a high wall, raising their three children with the help of a cadre of servants. In these exotic surroundings, Genevieve strives to create a semblance of the life they would have had at home in the US—ballet and riding classes for the children, impeccable dinner parties, a meticulously kept home. But in truth, Robert works for American intelligence, Genevieve finds herself drawn into a passionate affair with her husband’s boss, and their serene household is vulnerable to unseen dangers of a rapidly changing world and a country they don’t really understand.

Alternating between past and present as all of the secrets are revealed, What Could Be Saved is an unforgettable novel about a family shattered by loss and betrayal, and the beauty and hope that can exist even in the midst of brokenness.

---

Respected Contributor

@feline groovy  That was an excellent book. Something different. 

Trusted Contributor

I read a book back in June called " The Collective". Unfortunately I can't remember the author's name. It's a relatively new book and was recommended to me by the manager of my local library. If you like a good thriller, this one's for you. Without giving too much away, it's about a group of mothers who have lost a child to violence and find each other on the dark web. I found the book to be a little disturbing, but I REALLY liked it. I couldn't start another book for a couple days after I finished it. I had to analyze it in my head for a couple days. Another one I really liked was "Wish You Were Here" by Jodi Picoult. There was a twist at the end of the book that I never saw coming. That is always a pleasant surprise for me. I've been reading for so long that a lot of times I can guess the ending.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Finished Greer Hendricks & Sarah Pekkanen's The Golden Couple.  I've read their books both solo and together and they write so well together.  This one was no exception.  I really enjoyed the mystery of this book.

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished The Messy Lives of Book People by Phaedra Patrick, very good book!  A cleaner of homes and offices is asked to finished the 20th book of a series she has loved since childhood after the author has passed away, this author happens to be her favorite author and employer.  This is where the story really gets interesting, why her and why does the book need to be finished on November 1st?  And why has the author demands such weird requests, like her death cannot be released publicly until  Nov 1st?

Trusted Contributor

@lork wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

I have just finished The Second Perimeter by Mike Lawson. This is a new author and series that I discovered earlier this year. I definitely enjoyed the first book in the series and now I have completed the second one.

I love a book that is entertaining but also moves at a fast clip. 

I have also recently started reading Mike Lawson's Joe DeMarco series.  I like the characters and am looking forward to House Rules, the third of 16 volumes.  Nick Petrie is another, new to me, mystery writer that I have been reading.  His Pete Ash is such an interesting/complex character, I bet you would appreciate him.  And I have been able to download the first 3 Petrie novels from my public library's audiobooks system, a wonderful "plus"!

I loved the Joe Demarco series.  I binge read it last summer.  You might also like LT Ryan.  His Rachel Hatch series is quite good.

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

Just finished The Stranger In The Mirror by Liv Constantine, what a good book!  I will not say too much as   it would give away the story line, but if you want a book full of action, this book is for you!

I know this is one @RetRN would like. I read a summary and it sounds good.

Trusted Contributor

Today I finished Overkill by Sandra Brown.  It was just published on August 16th.  This is my kind of book.  I liked the smart characters, lots of action, and interesting plot.  The main character is a retired pro football player who finds out he still has the medical power of attorney for his ex-wife when she is left brain dead after a s*x game gone very wrong.  The sociopath who assaulted her is released from prison and the consequences of the terrible situation get worse and worse. 

I recommend this book.  Be aware however, there is frequent use of the f-word and several s*x scenes.