Esteemed Contributor

Re: AUGUST 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

1. Just finished Marrying The Ketchups by Jennifer Close, this was an in depth look at a family who all have a hand in running the family restaurant  It takes the reader into the lives of each family member and how are are together through the good and bad,I rather enjoyed it!
Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

I don't usually post in this forum, so forgive me if these books have already been mentioned.  They are historical fiction by author Mary Elizabeth Blair, based on the lives of a real family of strong women - different generations.  I could not put them down!

They are Lilac Girls (WWII time period) which was written first, Lost Roses (WWI era) and Sunflower Sisters (Civil War). 

Each book tells the story through several characters so that you see the conflict from different points of view.  At the end of each book the author tells you what happened to the character afterwards and about the places in the book, which are mostly real.  I learned so much and loved every minute!

I loved Lilac Girls!

@Judaline 

Then you really have to read the other two.  Believe me, they are even better than Lilac Girls!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

I don't usually post in this forum, so forgive me if these books have already been mentioned.  They are historical fiction by author Mary Elizabeth Blair, based on the lives of a real family of strong women - different generations.  I could not put them down!

They are Lilac Girls (WWII time period) which was written first, Lost Roses (WWI era) and Sunflower Sisters (Civil War). 

Each book tells the story through several characters so that you see the conflict from different points of view.  At the end of each book the author tells you what happened to the character afterwards and about the places in the book, which are mostly real.  I learned so much and loved every minute!

I loved Lilac Girls!

@Judaline 

Then you really have to read the other two.  Believe me, they are even better than Lilac Girls!

@shoesnbags I loved the Lilac Girls so I need to read your recommendations as well.  Another really good one is The Forest Of Vanishing Stars by Kristin Harmel.  A young girl is kidnapped from her German wealthy parents and raised in the forest.  WWII comes along and she helps Jewish refugees.  I cried reading this book.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you @beckyb1012 

Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012& @Judaline 

Please note that I changed the author's name in my post to Martha Hall Kelly after my initial boo boo.Smiley Embarassed

Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

I loved Lilac Girls!

@Judaline 

@shoesnbags Have you read Enemy Women by Paulette Giles. Love her books. This one I read quite a while ago. The heroine reminds me a little of Scarlett.

Book Overview

From the Author of the National Book Award Finalist News of the World Good Morning America Book Club Pick For the Colleys of southeastern Missouri, the War between the States is a plague that threatens devastation, despite the family's avowed neutrality. For eighteen-year-old Adair Colley, it is a nightmare that tears apart her family and forces her and her sisters to flee. The treachery of a fellow traveler, however, brings about her arrest, and she is caged with the criminal and deranged in a filthy women's prison. But young Adair finds that love can live even in a place of horror and despair. Her interrogator, a Union major, falls in love with her and vows to return for her when the fighting is over. Before he leaves for battle, he bestows upon her a precious gift: freedom. Now an escaped "enemy woman," Adair must make her harrowing way south buoyed by a promise . . . seeking a home and a family that may be nothing more than a memory

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Book Lovers, by Emily Henry.  I adored Emily's book People You Meet On Vacation but this one is just almost boring.  Two sisters who are very very close but the older of the two thinks she should be the solver of all problems and take care of all matters.  Even after her younger sister marries and is pregnant with her third child.  Home should be where big sister says it should be not what the young family desires.  Throw in a love interest of her own struggling with his own family and trying to care for all their needs and you end up with a couple of control freaks.  (Emily really dropped the ball on this one.)

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

Just finished In Bloom by Fern Michaels/Carolyn Brown/Lori Foster, tthis book contains 3 stories, I enjoyed  all 3!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow,I just finished Joe Hill's book NOS4A2! It was a very long book. Took me almost a week to read. I thought it was very good. This is the first book I have read of his. It certainly did remind me of his father's writing. I won't tell his name in case someone doesn't know who,he is. Don't want to ruin it for someone. I will read more of his books,but for now I'll read something a little lighter than this,although I really like it very much.

Esteemed Contributor

@shoesnbags 

First of all welcome. Secondly it does not matter if a book has been mentioned or not. 

Please continue to post and share what you are reading, your thoughts on the book and future books that you might want to read.

Myself and others gather a lot of ideas from this thread by viewing what others have enjoyed.