Trusted Contributor

Re: AUGUST 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

Today I finished Before She Disappeared by Lisa Gardner.  This book was published in January 2021.  It introduces Frankie Elkin, a character who finds missing people.  She is not a PI or law enforcement; she is simply obsessed with helping families find those who are missing.  I thought the book was OK, but it did not make me want to run out and get the sequel (book 2 was published in January 2022).  It was a very bleak book, but the process she used to find the lost girl was interesting.  The ending was ok, but I just could not relate to the main character at all.  She is an alcoholic who traded her addiction for this obsession with finding the lost.  She's smart, but troubled.

Honored Contributor

I have just started My Husband's Daughter, by Emma Robinson! Starts off very very good!

Respected Contributor

I can't believe I've never read Anne Tyler's Dinner At The Homesick Restaurant.  It's been out for a long time.  It wasn't as good as her others to me.  I love family books though. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Just started reading  After All by Mary Tyler Moore, today. 

Only up to her high school years so far, but what a sad, sad story.

Admittedly, she was a great actress to give us the impression that everything was *okay*.womansadd:

Updating my *review*.  Stopped reading just shy of the last few pages.  

MTM has included some of the most grotesque occurrencess, that I honestly think she could've left unsaid.

I don't even know if I'll bother reading till the end.  

Just really bizarre.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm when was the MTM book written? She came across as a wholesome person so I'm surprised there are things included that make you not want to finish her book.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG  She'd written 2 books, this was the first.  It was about her life from day 1 up until the mid 90's.  She was born in the 30's. 

The second was probably a re-cap of book one and included her struggle with Type 1 Diabetes.

She was diagnosed immediately following a miscarriage and she just went a little too far with that story, imho.  It was grotesque and left me weak in the knees.  

She played a wholesome person, but admittedly, she wasn't.  She didn't play *herself*.  She either played Laura Petrie or Mary Richards or whoever else....

Respected Contributor

Anne Tyler's Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant is one of her best books, IMO.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Just started reading  After All by Mary Tyler Moore, today. 

Only up to her high school years so far, but what a sad, sad story.

Admittedly, she was a great actress to give us the impression that everything was *okay*.womansadd:

Updating my *review*.  Stopped reading just shy of the last few pages.  

MTM has included some of the most grotesque occurrencess, that I honestly think she could've left unsaid.

I don't even know if I'll bother reading till the end.  

Just really bizarre.

I'm curious. Could you give a sample of one of those experiences (not in detail if you don't want to).

Oooops, sorry, I didn't read far enough. I see you posted more!

Honored Contributor

@SWEET wrote:

I can't believe I've never read Anne Tyler's Dinner At The Homesick Restaurant.  It's been out for a long time.  It wasn't as good as her others to me.  I love family books though. 

Sounds like a Billie Letts book! (The Honk and Holler Opening Soon).

Esteemed Contributor

Back to Ann Cleeves' Vera Stanhope book. "The Seagull." The author hasn't disappointed yet, so I'm sure this will be another good book. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain