Esteemed Contributor

AUGUST 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

Hello readers, August is upon us. Our last month of the summer. What are you reading, please share with the group.

Last night I finished Deadly Decisions by Kathy Reichs. This is the third book in the series, and in my opinion better than the first two books.  As usual Dr. Brenanan (Bones) manages to make a lame decision that almost ends up getting her killed. This confuses me since she is a brilliant forensic anthropologist, but she seems to have missed the bus, when common sense was given out. 

Honored Contributor

Re: AUGUST 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

" Marrying The Ketchups ," by Jenifer Close is a really funny book about 3 generations of a Chicago restaurant family. They are caught up in the changing times and the doubt of everything they held dear. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Regular Contributor

"The Stranger in the Mirror" by Liv Constantine.  Also,

Do You Remember?: A gripping psychological thriller
by Freida McFadden…

Couldn't put either of them down and finished both  in a couple of days.

Honored Contributor

Dream Town, by David Baldacci.  Bk. #3 in the Archer series.  Archer is spending the new year of 1953  in Hollywood with a dear friend whom he would like to make more than a just a friend.  This up and coming actress introduces him to writers, directors and all kinds of other Hollywood types.  Including the unsavory.  Archer is hired for his PI investigative skills to determine why someone is trying to kill this female Hollywood writer.  Archer does find a dead body in her home but it is not her, where is she?

Winter Garden, by Kristin Hannah.  A family who other than their father never felt love from their mother.  She told them Russian fairy tales and gave them only the basic requirements of a home but nothing emotional or loving.  These two women grew up only feeling loved by their father and when he passes away in his 80's now it is just the three of them and their mother's slipping mental capacity.  Or is she really slipping or just remembering another life as a young woman in Russia before she met their father in WWII.  

I had to put this book aside a few times and catch my breath and let the tears flow.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

Beach Read by Emily Henry which was a story about two writers who knew each other in college and end up living next to each other and they challenge each other to write a book in the other person's genre. This was a light romance which I thought was a bit too long. I thought it could have concluded effectively with about 50 less pages. 

The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult. This was an excellent book about a woman who discovers a possible Nazi war criminal. As usual in Picoult books she is presented with a moral dilemma.

500 Miles From You by Jenny Colgan. A story about a nurse from London who temporarily changes jobs with a male nurse from Scotland. I always enjoy a book by Jenny Colgan. They are easy to read and charming and heart warming.

A Week At The Lake by Wendy Wax about three women friends who come together when one of them is injured in a hit and run and secrets are revealed.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Honored Contributor

@travelin grandma wrote:

"The Stranger in the Mirror" by Liv Constantine.  Also,

Do You Remember?: A gripping psychological thriller
by Freida McFadden…

Couldn't put either of them down and finished both  in a couple of days.

@travelin grandma Love both of these authors!!! I haven't read either book yet either, will put them both on my list!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Dream Town, by David Baldacci.  Bk. #3 in the Archer series.  Archer is spending the new year of 1953  in Hollywood with a dear friend whom he would like to make more than a just a friend.  This up and coming actress introduces him to writers, directors and all kinds of other Hollywood types.  Including the unsavory.  Archer is hired for his PI investigative skills to determine why someone is trying to kill this female Hollywood writer.  Archer does find a dead body in her home but it is not her, where is she?

Winter Garden, by Kristin Hannah.  A family who other than their father never felt love from their mother.  She told them Russian fairy tales and gave them only the basic requirements of a home but nothing emotional or loving.  These two women grew up only feeling loved by their father and when he passes away in his 80's now it is just the three of them and their mother's slipping mental capacity.  Or is she really slipping or just remembering another life as a young woman in Russia before she met their father in WWII.  

I had to put this book aside a few times and catch my breath and let the tears flow.

@beckyb1012 

I read Winter Garden by recommendation from someone on our book forum. I really did enjoy the book. Without giving anything away what the mother went through.. (It choked me up a few times as well)

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

First book of August finished.  Second Act by Meg Napier was a murder mystery, ballet, and romance all rolled up in one book.  I really enjoyed it. A fast read in 2 days.

Esteemed Contributor

"The Lioness" by Chris Boljalian

Movie stars and friends on a safari in the Serengeti. 
A tense book depicting perspectives from the characters and the wild animals that may not be as dangerous as humans.

📖 🦓🐊🦒🐘 🥷🏻

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just started reading  After All by Mary Tyler Moore, today. 

Only up to her high school years so far, but what a sad, sad story.

Admittedly, she was a great actress to give us the impression that everything was *okay*.Woman Sad

Updating my *review*.  Stopped reading just shy of the last few pages.  

MTM has included some of the most grotesque occurrences, that I honestly think she could've left unsaid.

I don't even know if I'll bother reading till the end.  

Just really bizarre.