Trusted Contributor

Re: AUGUST 2021 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

This Summer I decided to finally read the alphabet mystery series by Sue Grafton. The books have been very up and down for me. Some duds, others were good. I finished L is for Lawless. The storyline and lead character were so dumb in this book that I need to step away from this series. I just am not clicking with it. So many other books to read instead of forcing myself to continue. 

I had enjoyed Tess Gerritsen's Rizzoli and Isles mystery series (plus the tv show which was definitely different than the books). However I had never read the 1st book in the series, I started it and it was just so graphic horrid attacks on women that I couldn't stomach it. I gave up. Not in the mood to read really horrible killings. 

My local library finally had available for me a couple World War II books that i had on hold for a long time. They've gotten great reviews but had no ambition to read them now. I just feel the need for something lighter so i returned them and put my name on hold again. maybe when i get them again in a couple months, i can give them the time they deserve.

So I decided to go back to an old love the cozy-mystery website for some advice on new to me books. I checked out a few 1st books in mystery series to see if I click with any of the characters. I would love to fall in love with another series that I just want to read nonstop. 

Trusted Contributor

Here are my most recent reads, in order from Best to Just Okay:

THE STRANGER IN THE MIRROR by Liv Constantine (thriller)

NOT A HAPPY FAMILY by Shari Lapena (thriller)

THE RED BOOK by James Patterson (sequel to THE BLACK BOOK)

THE MAN WITH THE SILVER SAAB by Alexander McCall Smith (3rd book in his Swedish detective series; dragged a bit.  His other series are much better.)

Esteemed Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

This Summer I decided to finally read the alphabet mystery series by Sue Grafton. The books have been very up and down for me. Some duds, others were good. I finished L is for Lawless. The storyline and lead character were so dumb in this book that I need to step away from this series. I just am not clicking with it. So many other books to read instead of forcing myself to continue. 

I had enjoyed Tess Gerritsen's Rizzoli and Isles mystery series (plus the tv show which was definitely different than the books). However I had never read the 1st book in the series, I started it and it was just so graphic horrid attacks on women that I couldn't stomach it. I gave up. Not in the mood to read really horrible killings. 

My local library finally had available for me a couple World War II books that i had on hold for a long time. They've gotten great reviews but had no ambition to read them now. I just feel the need for something lighter so i returned them and put my name on hold again. maybe when i get them again in a couple months, i can give them the time they deserve.

So I decided to go back to an old love the cozy-mystery website for some advice on new to me books. I checked out a few 1st books in mystery series to see if I click with any of the characters. I would love to fall in love with another series that I just want to read nonstop. 

@FindingMyJoy 

I am also a reader who enjoys reading books in a series. So much so that this year I have been trying to break it up with throwing in a stand alone book from time to time.

Here are some series that I am currently enjoying that you might want to check out:

Kate Burkholder Books (Linda Castillo)

Krewe of Hunters (Heather Graham)

Ali Reynolds (J.A. Jance)

Under Suspicion Series (Mary Higgin Clarks)

These listed below I enjoy but they are graphic so they may be a pass for you:

In Death Series ( J.D. Robb)

Prey Series ( John Sanford)

Virgil Flower Series (John Sanford)

Women's Murder Club (James Patterson)

Teddy Fay (Stuart Woods) I have only read one book in this series so far.

I will also be starting a series by Kathy Reichs. I really enjoyed the television show "Bones" while it was on. The show I believe was based off this series of books. 

Honored Contributor

@icezeus  I agree with the John Sanford books. Very good.

Trusted Contributor

Today I finished It's Better This Way, the newest book by Debbie Macomber.  This was a breath of fresh air because it was like an old-fashioned romance with no s*x scenes, no swearing, and no violence.  There is a great lesson about needing to forgive rather than hold on to resentment and hurt.  The plot involves a relationship developing between two people to live in the same condo building.  They quickly find that their past has implications for their future.  I liked this book and recommend it!

Esteemed Contributor

@pateacher wrote:

Yesterday, I finished The Personal Librarian (Marie Benedict and Victoria Christopher Murray) Belle La Coste Greene becames J.P. Morgan's personal librarian, not just the stereotypical librarian, either, Belle is an intelligent, quick-witted and knowledgeable young woman, who just happens to be Black. Her light skin, however, hides this fact. Belle must always guard against anyone who might expose her race.

This book is another gem by Marie Benedict.The characterization allows you to "be in the room" during the ups and downs of a true forerunner of the Women's Movement.

Is this a nonfiction book or a novel?  Historical fiction?  Sounds very interesting.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

@teganslaw , great review of The Maidens.  Thanks.  LM

Valued Contributor

@MoJoV 

The book is nonfiction.

Honored Contributor

Just read and really enjoyed these 2 books--Malibu Rising and Blush.

Respected Contributor

Just finished 466 pages of City of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert.  This was my first fiction book by her after reading Eat, Pray, Love (her memoir) which I enjoyed.  It was fast reading and I enjoyed the 1940s and the characters.