Esteemed Contributor

AUGUST 2021 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

We are eight months into the year and time has moved swiftly.

If you have read any good books lately, please share them with our group. Even the books that you wish that you could forget. 

Respected Contributor

Re: AUGUST 2021 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

@icezeus , thanks for keeping us going❤️!!!

I am currently reading The First Family, Michael Palmer.  About half way through.  A good read so far.  LM

Honored Contributor

Mythos by Stephen Fry

his retelling of Greek Mythology, audiobook version is fantastic 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@icezeus wrote:

We are eight months into the year and time has moved swiftly.

If you have read any good books lately, please share them with our group. Even the books that you wish that you could forget. 

@icezeus 

Thank you for this month and I love the sentence even the books you wish that you could forget.  LOL  Not sure how many I had in July.

My first book in August is almost half way done.  The First Emma by Camille DiMaio.  This is my second book by her.  The Beautiful Strangers was a 5 star rating for me which was set in 1958 which was the year I was born.  This book starts in the early 1900s and swtiches back and forth to the 1940s so far. 

UPATED:  I just finished it and though it wasn't as good as her first one it was an enjoyable read nonetheless.

Honored Contributor

The Daughters of Yalta (non fiction)

The Four Winds (historical fiction)

Both worthwhile reads.

Respected Contributor

I'm about halfway through "The Nightingale" by Kristin Hannah. I'm usually way behind everyone else's reading lists; I think I'm the last in my friends group who's not read it yet. Really enjoyable although written about a most difficult time in our history. I'm thinking my favorite books are historical fiction; makes me realize how easy it is to lose ourselves.

Regular Contributor

Right now I am rereading James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux series in order.  Just started Last Car To Elysian Fields.  I just finished Shepherd Avenue by Charlie Carrillo and got bogged down in Nomadland by Jessica Border.  I may go back to that later.

I had read Beach Music by Pat Conroy years ago and thought I would reread it but it seemed every comment had to be smart a&& and I got irritated with that.  Also whiney but I think Conroy was like that.  He did have reasons though.

Our book club book for July was Holding On To Nothing by by Elizabeth Child's Shelburne.  Couldn't put it down.

August book is The Exiles by Christina Baker Kline.  Hope it's good.

Respected Contributor

A friend was cleaning out her house for a sale and found The Godfather.  She's reading it so I read it too.  I first read it when it was published - late '60s.  Really enjoyed it.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished the first Dorothy Martin British mystery by Jeanne M. Dams, The Body in the Transept.    It was a good read that introduced the characters.  Dorothy Martin is an American living in Sherebury after the death of her husband.  The book takes place between Christmas and right after New Year's Day, and is quite descriptive.  Looking forward to reading the series, which gets good reviews.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

@Carolina925 wrote:

I'm about halfway through "The Nightingale" by Kristin Hannah. I'm usually way behind everyone else's reading lists; I think I'm the last in my friends group who's not read it yet. Really enjoyable although written about a most difficult time in our history. I'm thinking my favorite books are historical fiction; makes me realize how easy it is to lose ourselves.

@Carolina925  Oh, I read this twice...........great book!