Contributor

Re: AUGUST 2021 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

i just attempted to finish THE NOISE by JAMES PATTERSON  and J.D BARKER. i don't recommend this what a mess. its a noise that tkills everything in its way. goverment cover-up etc etc. stupid scientists who atre brought into area to solve this. i give it 1 STAR.

Esteemed Contributor

i just finished The Girl In The Mirror by Rose Carlyle, I enjoyed this book.  The first half of the book is boring, it is introducing the characters, but after you get through that, the book takes off, and I could stop reading!

Respected Contributor

@CareBears  How are you feeling?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CareBears wrote:

i just finished The Girl In The Mirror by Rose Carlyle, I enjoyed this book.  The first half of the book is boring, it is introducing the characters, but after you get through that, the book takes off, and I could stop reading!

@CareBears 

Happy to see that you are back. I hope that you are feeling better.  :-)

Esteemed Contributor

@Janey2 @icezeus - As long as I do not do to much I am OK, the doctors say my hand will problably never get better, so I do not want to dwell on that  and tend to think that I am stubborn not to listen to them, in the mean time I just read and read!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm halfway through "The Girl Who Died" by Ragnar Jonasson. He wrote the Dark Iceland novels with detective Ari Thor, but this is a standalone book with different characters. 

Una takes a teaching job in the northern Icelandic hamlet Skalar, which has a population of 12, two of which are her students. 

The attic room she rents is rumored to be haunted by the ghost of  a young girl in a white dress. Soon after arriving, Una starts to have dreams of a young girl singing a lullaby, and she starts to see images. Is this the ghost or just a vivid imagination? 

The book doesn't have much action, as it mostly relies on characterization and atmosphere. Occasionally, the book changes to the past and takes the tone of a person who allegedly murdered the young girl. At first the change was difficult to read, but it's translated from Icelandic, so that's probably the reason it reads like this. I became used to it after a couple times. Overall, I find the book interesting, and I like the descriptions of Iceland.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

The Next Wife (K. Rouda) -  just loved it.  Suspenseful and kept me engaged.  

Respected Contributor

I finished Billy Summers by Stephen King, about a hit man doing one "last job."  I really enjoyed this story.  The flashbacks to Iraq were a little too graphic for me and I skimmed some of that.  Considering the book is over 500 pages, it went pretty fast for me.  Billy is quite a character and Stephen King does a superb job of making him real.  This is a writer's book, and one of my favorites so far this year.   

Respected Contributor

Now I'm reading Bloodless, the 20th in the Agent Pendergast series by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child.  No matter how outlandish these plots are, I always enjoy them.  Love this character.    

Esteemed Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

Now I'm reading Bloodless, the 20th in the Agent Pendergast series by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child.  No matter how outlandish these plots are, I always enjoy them.  Love this character.    

@smoky22 

I will have to add this to the list. I am looking for new series to add to my list to mix it up more. I have just started one by Kathy Reichs who is the inspiration/author for the "Bones" TV series that I use to truly enjoy, and I am interested in checking out this set of books by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child.