Contributor

Re: AUGUST 2021 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

I just finished IT'S BETTER THIS WAY by DEBBIE MACOMBER. Another good book of hers, i also read THE SHADOW by JAMES PATTERSON and another author. i'm not a fan of cryogenics but it was a strange book for him. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just about all through with the bags of books my dear friend loaned me while cleaning out all her empty nest daughter's bedrooms.  Very young adult books but have been fun to read for the past couple of months.

I went to the Library this past Monday and they were asking where in the heck had I been?  Librarians are the best!  Picked my hold copy of The Lost Village, by Camilla Sten.  The plot in and of itself is really a good story line but the author is not doing it justice.  A village in Sweden completely disappears decades ago.  Coffee cups and clothes still in the homes ect.....just no people.  Except one dead woman with her arms wrapped around a pole and it appears she has been stoned to death.  There is one baby only a few days old found in the village school. 

One member of the film crew who have come to film a documentary is that babies' daughter and another member's Grandmother lived in the village as a young girl.  Thank goodness she had moved away before whatever happened.  I will finish this in the morning not because it is a good book but because I want the mystery solved.

Also I am next in line for People We Meet On Vacation and whoever has it now is three days overdue!!!!!!!  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Valued Contributor

I have just decided to pull the tab on Riley Sager newest book . I just  can't get into it!

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom1 @He's got a new one coming out in a couple of weeks.  Amazing at his age.  Mine is preordered

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I finished listening to ARIADNE by Jennifer Saint, which I enjoyed very much.  However, the issue I have with these myth based books is that I'm SOOO interested that I'm constantly googling to learn more, thus often spoilng the story for me (although since the stories are literally thousands of years old, can they really be "spoiled"?  LOL)  I did have a "ah hah!" moment - all this time, I didn't realize that The Hunger Games novels were based in part on the Minotaur myth.  But the parallels were so obvious to me here (and of course I googled and confirmed).  I actually wonder if this author was influenced by those books (calling them tributes, for example). Maybe I should read more about this - the Stephen Fry books previously commented on this thread sound good.

I also finished reading AMERICAN SHERLOCK: MURDER, FORENSICS, AND THE BIRTH OF AMERICAN CSI by Kate Winkler Dawson for my Governerd summer book club (if you know, you know). I found the science and cases discussed interesting, but the book IMO was bogged down in the subject's personal issues. 

I'm now listening to Reese's August pick: We Were Never Here.Only two chapters in and quite meh about it.

Super Contributor

Just finished "Hostage" by Clare Mackintosh. Wow! Highly recommend it if you like a good thriller.

The former and current and still "MrsSweetieBear".
Honored Contributor

I've been taking online classes .... so most of my reading this past year or so has been non-fiction.

One non-required reading is interesting:  Those Terrible Middle Ages!  Debunking the Myths by Regine Pernoud.  Slow going.  It's one of those "read and ponder" books.  I've been reading for a week an I'm only on page 63.

Respected Contributor

@MrsSB  I recommended this book earlier on this thread...can you not believe the epic ending??  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pachutabelle , do you know the title? TIA.  LM

Found it Another Kind of Eden (James Lee Burke). Just put it on hold at the library.  LM