Esteemed Contributor

APRIL 2024 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

Hello all readers. We have made it to the month of April.

Please share your likes and dislikes. All genres are welcomed so feel free to do more than lurk, dont's be shy. Post, what you enjoy reading. 

I am currently reading Instinct by James Patterson and Howard Roughan.

Respected Contributor

Re: APRIL 2024 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

I've started The Talented Mr Ripley

Harmonize the World
Super Contributor

Any good non-fiction??

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished reading Becoming Madame Secretary by Stephanie Dray.  It is about Frances Perkins, the first woman Cabinet member as Secretary of Labor.  We have her to thank for Social Security.  It was a very interesting read.  Highly recommended.

I have tried to read Finding Margaret Fuller and also The Princess of LasVegas but couldn't get into either of them and they are going back to the library unread.

I have started to read In Sunshine and in Shadow by Rhys Bowen in the Molly Murphy series.  This series has always been a favorite of mine and hopefully will remain so. 

This is the first book Rhys has co-written with her daughter such as Jonathan Kellerman with his son and Lee Child with his son.  Although both of them are favorites I do not like the Kellerman duo at all and have only read one of the Child duo; not as good as just Lee Child.  I have the 2nd  Child duo on reserve and we will see.

Respected Contributor

I've just finished reading C.J. Archer's The Glass Library Series........combines historical fiction and fantasy.  

Currently reading The Underground Library by Jennifer Ryan. "When the Blitz imperils the heart of a London neighborhood, three young women must use their fighting spirit to save the community’s beloved library in this novel based on true events from the author of The Chilbury Ladies’ Choir. "

The other one I couldn't put down was The American Daughters by Maurice Ruffin. 

And a fun series by Annelise Ryan - the Monster Hunter series "Morgan Carter, owner of the Odds and Ends bookstore in Door County, Wisconsin, has a hobby. When she’s not tending the store, she’s hunting cryptids—creatures whose existence is rumored, but never proven to be real. It’s a hobby that cost her parents their lives, but one she’ll never give up on."

Respected Contributor

Good morning and Happy April @icezeus  and readers.

I just started The Hunter by Tana French.  This was just released in March.

Respected Contributor

@fairydogmother wrote:

I've started The Talented Mr Ripley

Did ;you know there are more than one book ??

I loved them ...

Honored Contributor

My favorite book this year has been "The Women" by Kristen Hannah.  Wonderful book.  Wonderful author.

Trusted Contributor

I read The Butterfly Sisters by Jenny Hale which was a story about a mother who asks her two daughters to meet at their grandmother's lake house to learn who inherited the house and what will become of it. There was mending family differences and some light romance.

I also read The Nine Lives of Bianca Moon by Delas Heras. This was a murder mystery where all the characters were cats or dogs. A dog reporter was murdered and his cat fiance decides to try and track down the murderer herself. It was an interesting premise for a book. I'm not sure if it was totally successful.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Honored Contributor

The Many Lives of Marjorie Post, by  Allison Pataki.  CW Post's only child and his main partner, employee and devoted fan when he and his depressed wife started The Post Company from absolutely nothing but a dream.  This family were down to their last few dollars and Mr. Post saw that housewives were always cooking for hours for just one meal, breakfast.  So he invented Grape Nuts.  The company grew and grew and at one time Marjorie was the richest woman in the world.  While married to the second of her four husbands she came up with the idea of frozen foods and discovered a Mr. Birdseye who was freezing and selling his own caught fish.  So she bought is small operation and away she went to new ventures in the food industry  She entertained Presidents, Royalty and Hollywood.  One of her three daughters was the American actress Dina Merrill.  Marjorie struggled to find love but she helped so many families, cities and countries with her charity work.

I flew through this book.

You might remember Dina in the 1988 film Caddy Shack II with so many of the SNL cast memebers.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."