Respected Contributor

Re: APRIL 2023 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

I'm currently reading Deep Water by Patricia Highsmith.  Really like it so far.

I read all of her Tom Ripley books a few years ago and wanted to read her other books.  After seeing the movie Deep Water I decidied to read the book.  I only found out recently that it was based on a book by Highsmith.

Trusted Contributor

I read the first few chapters of Loyalty, the new book by Lisa Scottolini and decided to return it to the library.  I seldom abandon a book, but this one had no appeal for me and I have enjoyed many books by this author.  It is historical fiction about the birth of the mafia in Sicily.  In the first few pages there was a disturbing kidnapping of a child who was then dumped in a "mad" house and then a murder.

I hope to read a review here by someone who actually reads the book and likes it.  I just couldn't get into reading it now.  

Respected Contributor

"Catch and Kill reads like a great detective novel, and could lead to a safer and more just future."―GloriaSteinem

"Historically, this book is going to have lasting importance as a vividly detailed, in-the-trenches account of the epic effort it took to try to bring down just a piece of the wall of patriarchy that has kept women exploited and oppressed in the media industry and American life forever."―David Zurawik, The Baltimore Sun

Trusted Contributor

I finished Her Deadly Touch by Lisa Regan. This is book 12 in the Detective Josie Quinn mystery series. I devoured this book in a little over a day, it was fast paced and kept my interest as it had many interesting characters. It revolves around a deadly school bus crash that kills 5 children when parents of the children slowly disappear. This is a very well written police series with strong smart female leads who have actual feelings and aren't just stereotypes. This book does involve dealing with grief and is well done. I hate when authors kill off a beloved character then don't discuss the aftermath of it. I look forward to continuing to read this series! It's definitely one to read from the beginning so you fully understand the characters. 

Respected Contributor

@sandy53 wrote:

I read the first few chapters of Loyalty, the new book by Lisa Scottolini and decided to return it to the library.  I seldom abandon a book, but this one had no appeal for me and I have enjoyed many books by this author.  It is historical fiction about the birth of the mafia in Sicily.  In the first few pages there was a disturbing kidnapping of a child who was then dumped in a "mad" house and then a murder.

I hope to read a review here by someone who actually reads the book and likes it.  I just couldn't get into reading it now.  

@sandy53 

I love her books and have this on my Ipad but I know if I start reading 480 pages I'm going to have to recharge my IPad a lot. 

Did you read Eternal?  I loved it and all of her others. I still need to read some of her essays of books that she wrote with her daughter and What Happened To The Bennetts.

Respected Contributor

@sandy53  I felt the same way. After a few chapters I returned the book.

Respected Contributor

@FindingMyJoy  Love the Josie Quinn series. Read them all. If you can start from book 1 you will get a better insight of the characters.

Trusted Contributor

I love her books and have this on my Ipad but I know if I start reading 480 pages I'm going to have to recharge my IPad a lot. 

Did you read Eternal?  I loved it and all of her others. I still need to read some of her essays of books that she wrote with her daughter and What Happened To The Bennetts.

Yes, I read Eternal and liked it.  In fact, I think I've read all of her fiction books (29 on my list) and I like her contemporary books best.  I really liked What Happened to the Bennetts.  I have read one of her humorous essay books and it was ok, just not my thing. 

Regular Contributor

I just finished THE LINDBERGH NANNY by MARIAH FREDERICKS.   Very good.   Also, a while back someone asked about a good mystery writer.   Try Chris Bohjalian.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I finished Blow Back by James Patterson and some other author.  It was ok, not great.  3/5 for me.  

Next up, Five Years Gone, Marie Force.  LM