Honored Contributor

Re: APRIL 2023 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

Now reading Killing Kennedy. The research in these books is fantastic. 

Going to pick up Living Proof at the library. It is an autobio. by Hank Willims Jr. I believe he also writes about falling off the mountain.

PS: Sorry: the Kennedy is written by O'Reilly and Dugard.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

@mildoo  ,  a fictional version of the Lindbergh kidnapping, with the nanny at the center, really piques my interest.  That kidnapping, once called "the crime of the century",  had so many reverberations.  I know it made a deep impression on my mother when young, who passed on her fascination to me.  It was one of those 20th century events that seemed to shake people to their core, raising concerns about how safe are we really?  Can helpless children really be protected from the evil that lurks?  Fascinating stuff.

Thanks for mentioning!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

This morning I finished reading My Mother's Friend by Sally Jameson Bond.  This is historical fiction set during World War 2 in the small Iowa town of Algona where there was a prisoner of war camp.  One prisoner is a talented German musician who works with a local high school senior girl, who is a talented pianist, to present concerts at the camp and in the community.  Of course they fall in love.  The girl's father is the local Lutheran minister.

I liked this book and recommend it.  Algona is only a few miles from where I live, so I am familiar with the POW camp story.  The book includes the true story of the prisoners making a large nativity scene that is still on view today. 

Respected Contributor

@sandy53 , it makes a book more interesting when you know the locale.  I am Canadian and know all the places in Quebec that Louise Penny writes about.  LM

Respected Contributor

I read Five Years Gone (Marie Force I think.). It is more of a romantic interest story which is not really my thing.  There is no deep plot but an anguished love situation.  It is a quick light read to me.  I skimmed a lot in the second half and it is a short book so it was a fast read.  Not sure I will read the second book.  LM

Respected Contributor

I read A Murderous Relation, the fifth in the Veronica Speedwell series by Deanna Raybourn (who also wrote Killers of a Certain Age).  The mysteries are never the main focus, and I always want to rate the books a 3.5 but the main character is so likable (and a little too modern for the Victorian setting) I always upgrade my rating to a 4.

Now I'm reading Sometimes People Die by Simon Stephenson.  It's about a doctor who takes a job at the struggling St. Luke's Hospital in east London. But too many patients are dying. Could there be a serial killer among them. 

The premise sounds interesting but I'm struggling with it, even at 60%.  I'm not a fan of the author's style.  One reviewer said it's the best book they've read all year so it must be me.  I'm not sure I would recommend it. 

Honored Contributor

Hi everyone, Smiley Happy

@CareBears and @sunala  thinking of you. 

I've been listening to Kristin Proby's  With Me In Seattle Series, books 3,  4, and 5. I enjoyed all  of them.  Fun, light, series focused around a family their business and their lives. 

Now, I'm listening to  How Much I Feel: Miami Nights Series, by Marie Force.  It is book 1 of 5. 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finished The Wedding Dress Sewing Circle by Jennifer Ryan.  it was a good book about friendship, doing with what you have in WWII in London with not only wedding dresses but other things.  I didn't love it as much as other readers did but it was a good read.  I'm always in the minority of books compared to other readers. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Book: A FLICKER IN THE DARK

Author: Stacy Willingham

⭐⭐⭐⭐ of 5 stars

Chloe is thirty-two and about to get married. It so happens her father is a serial killer and on the twentieth anniversary of the murders, girls are being murdered. There has to be a copycat killer out there and he knows Chloe. 

I only had two problems with the book. The first is that Chloe self medicates with Xanax. As a psychologist in Louisiana she's able to write prescriptions. The second thing that I couldn't believe is that her family home sits unoccupied in another city. I had to wonder who cuts the lawn and pays taxes on it. 

Respected Contributor

I finished Sometimes People Die, ultimately a very long, drawn out, and not very interesting story about patients in a hospital mysteriously dying. 

Now I'm reading The Kind Worth Saving (Peter Swanson) a sequel of sorts to The Kind Worth Killing.