Esteemed Contributor

APRIL 2023 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

A new month is upon us and I hope all are enjoying their books. Please share your likes and dislikes.

I am currently reading a book named Remember when by Nora Roberts & J.D. Robb. If you are familiar with this author then you are aware that J.D. Robb is the name that she uses for her books that are set in the year 2058. Not sure how the books will connect but the first half seems to be set in present day, and the second half of the book will be set in the future. 

Super Contributor

Re: APRIL 2023 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

The Rising Tide by Ann Cleeves.  Vera Stanhope is back in all her glory! I love this series and now picture the actress who plays her in the PBS series.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finished David Baldacci's "Wish You Well".  Written in 2000, it's not new, but our book club selected it on a personal recommendation, and because it was easy to access through the Inner Library Loan System.  Most of the book deals with the Cardinal children who, after the death of their father and severe injury to their mother, are thrust into the poverty laden mountains of Virginia.  It is a sweet, come of age novel with even a country lawyer and backwoods courtroom twist.  I recommend this book.

Honored Contributor

listening to The Magician by Colm Tobin 

about Thomas Mann

narrator is amazing 

Respected Contributor

Beartown by Fredrik Backman. My niece told me to read it & I got on the waitlist months ago at the library. It was worth the wait.

Mad Honey by Jodi Picoult & Jennifer Finney

Someone Else's Shoes by Jojo Moyes

Honored Contributor

Thank you, @icezeus  for starting this month's thread. Smiley Happy 

One Year Gone is the follow up to Five Years Gone by Marie Force. I LOVED and HIGHLY recommend both books.  

I think in my first post about these books, I posted them in the wrong order. 

I started to read Icebreaker by Hannah Grace.  I gave up shortly after starting and returned it to the library.  It seemed like a YA novel.  Maybe I'm just old. LOL LOL 

I just started to listen to Kristen Proby, O'Callahans. 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Super Contributor

It's not out in written form, but "The Levee" , by William Kent Krueger, is a great novella to listen to. . . The story tells of the great flood in 1927 on the Mississippi River.  Three convicts, and their leader, set out to rescue the wealthy residents of Ballymore, an elegant mansion surrounded by a high circular levee.  The owner refuses to leave his home, his beautiful young daughter cannot leave his side, and the elderly servants refuse to leave the girl they've always loved.  It's a beautiful story, worthy your time. . . 

Respected Contributor

@dmod nj @Is the first title One Year Home instead of One Year Gone by Marie Force?  (2nd book Five Years Gobe).

Excellent reviews, thank you for posting.  I have requested.  LM

Trusted Contributor

I read I Will Find You by Harlan Coben. His newest about a man imprisoned for the death of his son, who five years later receives a clue that his son may still be alive.

I also read Night of Miracles by Elizabeth Berg which is a follow up to Arthur Truluv and follows along in the same vein.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom1   You're welcome. Smiley Happy 

Five Years Gone is the first book .   One Year Home follows.  They have to be read in order to make sense. 

I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.  Smiley Happy 

I've read many other book series by Marie Force and enjoyed them all, but these are standouts, imo. 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.