Esteemed Contributor

Re: APRIL 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

[ Edited ]

I'm a little late to the game, but I started reading the Cedar Cove series, by Deb Macomber. I love it!

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished Find Me by Alafair Burke, IMO this was not a favorite book for me,  Too many characters to keep track of, and it went back in time too far,  I was expecting much more from this author!

Esteemed Contributor

I finished "The Brilliant Life of Eudora Honeysett" by Annie Lyons. 

Eudora Honeysett is 85 years old and tired of living. She has no serious health issues, nor is she depressed. She just feels that she's done everything and wants to end things her way. She contacts an institute in Switzerland to start the process. 

Things change when a new family moves next door and their 10 year old daughter, Rose, visits Eudora. Rose is a force of nature and becomes involved in Eudora's life, watching over her. other people also become involved in Eudora's life. 

This book is very good. I liked the characters and the way they developed throughout the story. It's funny, sad, heartwarming all at the same time. Highly recommended.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

Elin Hilderbrand's Hotel Nantucket was a good read as always but not as good as some of her others. 

Esteemed Contributor

I started "Big Little Lies" by Liane Moriarty. I read over 60 pages, and the jury's out on whether I like the book. 

It starts out with a muder investigation, although it's not known who was killed.  The story is moving slowly, and I find the characters unlikeable. Many of them act like snobs, form cliques like in high school and gossip about each other's lives and children. It reads like a "Real Housewives" show. I never saw the TV series "Big Little Lies" so I can't compare.  

I plan on reading for awhile, hoping it gets better. Maybe I'll learn more about the characters as I go on. The story could move at a quicker pace, though. 

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

Eudora Honeysett is 85 years old and tired of living. She has no serious health issues, nor is she depressed. She just feels that she's done everything and wants to end things her way. She contacts an institute in Switzerland to start the process. 

Things change when a new family moves next door and their 10 year old daughter, Rose, visits Eudora. Rose is a force of nature and becomes involved in Eudora's life, watching over her. other people also become involved in Eudora's life. 

This book is very good. I liked the characters and the way they developed throughout the story. It's funny, sad, heartwarming all at the same time. Highly recommended.

Sounds a little like the theme of A Man Called Ove?

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@teganslaw wrote:

Sounds a little like the theme of A Man Called Ove.

Some reviews did compare it with "A Man Called Ove." However, I couldn't get into "Ove", didn't finish reading it. Maybe it was the characterization or the way the author wrote. I disliked the man Ove but liked Eudora. 

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@teganslaw wrote:

Sounds a little like the theme of A Man Called Ove.

Some reviews did compare it with "A Man Called Ove." However, I couldn't get into "Ove", didn't finish reading it. Maybe it was the characterization or the way the author wrote. I disliked the man Ove but liked Eudora. 

I liked the movie (Ove) better than the book. (that's a switch, isn't it?)

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished The Reunion by Megan Quinn, loved this book!  It had several laugh you a** that i laughed until tears fell from my eyes,  It was heart warming book about family relationships through the good and bad!

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Crimson Lake Road (Desert Plains, #2) by Victor Methos. Overall a good book, although there were a couple of instances where I had to suspend my BS Meter.

On to the next book, which I actually started last week. I was bouncing between this book and another one, and then what happens whenever I try to read two books, eventually you want to read  one more than the other.