Esteemed Contributor

Re: APRIL 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

Just finished The Guncle by Steven Rowley, such a good book!  It was adorable as well as funny, then it took a turn and became a really moving story that tugged at my heart, I was sad when it ended!

Super Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

My niece introduced me to Kristin Hannah.  I just started reading Night Road.  Anyone else read her books?  Opinions?

Yes, I've read several of hers but that title is not one of them. I should check it out.

I liked most all I've read quite a bit except for I think her most recent, "Four Winds". It was popular but I didn't like it at all. My favorite Hannah novels are:

"Firefly Lane"

"The Nightingale" 

"The Great Alone"

The former and current and still "MrsSweetieBear".
Regular Contributor

@CareBears - I loved The Guncle as well!!!  It was both hilarious and very touching. Have you read his two other books, Lily and the Octopus and The Editor?  Both are excellent.  I really enjoy his style of writing - wry and character-driven, with an underlying tugging at the heartstrings.  If you read the other books, let us know what you think! 

Honored Contributor

By Any Other Name

Hook, Line, and Sinker

Esteemed Contributor

@joviolin  I have The Editor on hold, and will check into the other one  you mentioned, thanks for heads up!

Trusted Contributor

Finished the SCARLET CARNATION and loved it. Just started her next book,LIVING RIGHT.

By Laila Ibrahim. So far it's very good. About a extremely religious family who find out there young son is gay,and send him away so he can be "changed". So far it's good. 

Frequent Contributor

I am just finishing FRENCH BRAID by Anne Tyler.  I love it, as I've loved every book she's written.  Most of her books are about somewhat quirky people living in Baltimore.  Her characters are so alive and believable.She's a Pulitzer Price recpient, as well. So sad I'll have to wait a couple of years for another new one!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Krimpette I am always on hold at the library for her newest release as soon as a date is issued by the publisher.

@icezeus Wait until you read #4 the final one, WOW!!

Started this morning What Happened To The Bennetts, by Lisa Scottoline.  Typical middle class family coming home from their teenage daughters la crosse game with their son and family dog as well.  In a moment their whole world turns over and no one sees them again after the winning game celebration.  FBI are the only people who know where this family is now and why.  Interesting side note:  while reading of a jog with the Dad character and one of the FBI agents,  Dad asks him where he is from?  FBI says West Philly.  Dad asks Philly born and bred?  FBI says yes, when I am asked that question I do not know whether to hug WIll Smith or Hit him. It felt kind of surreal reading about Will Smith in a recently released book.  Two men talking about how much they like Will Smith.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished "Bring Me Back" by B.A. Paris.

Finn and Layla are on their way home to Devon, UK after a holiday in France. Finn stops at a restroom and when he returns to the car, Layla has disappeared without a trace. 

Fast forward 12 years. Finn is engaged to Layla's sister, Ellen. He starts getting emails from someone saying that Layla is alive. There are claims that she is seen. Is this a hoax or is Layla really alive? if she is, where has she been for all these years and what does she want? 

The book is OK, but not great. I had to suspend belief a few times, especially with the ending. Questionable actions by some of the characters. I read "Behind Closed Doors" by this author and didn't care for the ending of that book, either. It must be the way Paris writes. I think that I'll give up on the author for now. Although not bad, I've read better books. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

Finished The Last of The Debutantes by Julia Kelly.  The title is exactly what the book is about.  Debs of 1958 in England.  This is the second book I've read by her and I really enjoyed it.