Trusted Contributor

Re: APRIL 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

My reading for April is starting off good 👏. Just finishing WHAT HAPPENED to the BENNETS by Lisa SCOTTOLINE. A good story about a family forced to go into the witness protection program. A good mystery. 
Then I'll start a book by LAILA IBRAHIM. SCARLET CARNATION is the forth book in this series.m About two women,now there daughters,who were raised on a plantation. One the owner's daughter,the other a slave girl. These are so well written,and I just love the characters. Excellent books.m FYI,the first book was THE YELLOW CROCUS.

Honored Contributor

Just finished Kill Alex Cross, it was very good, and now just started The Child Next Door, by Shalini Boland!

Respected Contributor

@DJP I'm crazy too!  I read War & Peace years ago.  Another book that is one of my favorites was written long ago by Taylor Caldwell - Dear and Glorious Physician.  It is a story about Saint Luke and reading it seems like you are back in those times.  Doesn't seem like it would be an interesting book but it is one of the best books I have ever read.  I am a very fast reader and I found myself trying to read really slow as I approached the end so it wouldn't be over.  Taylor Caldwell had a gift for taking you into the past and making it real.

Respected Contributor

Les Miserables is one of the very best books I have ever read. I also love most of what Dickens wrote (especially Bleak House).

War and Peace did not move me much.

Valued Contributor

@insomniac2 

So far War and Peace isn't moving me either.  I'll stick with it for as long as I can. This is a classic that I really wanted to conquer. Maybe I'm a few years too late! Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished Running with Sherman by Christopher McDougall, I loved this book not only for the animals but the heartfelt stories of how animals can affect people in physical ways, but also in psychological ways, as any animal lover knows an animal can ease depression, anxiety just to name two..  Animals can be trained to help humans who are physically handicapped to make life easier for them at home, they at times are the only comfort some people have, and a service animal is more loyal than any human!  But this book also mentioned the community that formed around Donkey owners, looking out for each other, and accepting any problems any might have,  Serious topics were also mentioned, depression, suicide, premature babies dealing with life altering illnesses, and love of not only oneself but of others, very moving story!

Honored Contributor

I just started reading Sunday Nights at Seven The Jack Benny Story

He's before my time, but I'm enjoying his shows every morning.

His daughter Joan found the manuscript he'd written years before in a closet when she was cleaning out the home after her mother died.

So even though it's his words, she adds her own thoughts and memories.

It's a great read.

My next book will be his widow's book about him.

Esteemed Contributor

I was able to wrap up A minute to midnight (Atlee Pine, #2) by David Baldacci. I actually enjoyed this second book in the series a lot more than I did the first book. 

I would give it 4/5 stars on Goodreads. The book really kept me engaged which I have not felt for a while. 

On to the next Library book. 

Respected Contributor

Just finished The Latecomer by Jean Hanff Korelitz.  It took me longer than my usual 3-4 days to finish this one just like The Plot.  It was long (almost 500) pages with small font which my eyes didn't appreciate.  I almost gave up 3 times but finally finished it.  Was it worth it?  Maybe!

Trusted Contributor

I had a bunch of library books come in at the same time (as usual), so I have been reading non-stop.  Here's what I finished:

CARAMEL PECAN ROLL MURDER by Joanne Fluke

HIGH STAKES by Danielle Steel

THE RESTING PLACE by Camilla Sten

RUN ROSE RUN by James Patterson and Dolly Parton

THE RECOVERY AGENT by Janet Evanovich

9 LIVES by Peter Swanson

All of them were good, in their different ways, with the best one being 9 LIVES and the biggest disappointment being THE RECOVERY AGENT.