Honored Contributor

Re: APRIL 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

[ Edited ]

Empty Vows, by Mary Monroe.   1939 when being even the slightest bit different you must hide from you very nosey neighbors.  The neighborhood undertaker looses his son and his wife from the shock of the son's death on the same day.  It was the perfect "bearded" marriage for his life style.  But once the ladies of his Daddy's church sees he is now available the casseroles and all the helping hands come to his door in abundance.  This is one of the best books I have read this year and I am hoping by the way it ended that Ms. Monroe will make this into a series. 

Just discovered it is a follow up to Mrs. Wiggins.  Yea!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Summer Darlings.

Honored Contributor

@DJP wrote:

I'm attempting to read War and Peace. Call me crazy. 

@DJP You're not crazy (well maybe!  Woman Happy) but it is a good book.  It is to enjoy at leisure--not a quick read however!  

Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

@DJP wrote:

I'm attempting to read War and Peace. Call me crazy. 

Not crazy considering I read "Les Miserables", and many Charles Dickens novels. If one has the patience, some classics are worthwhile reading. 

@teganslaw @DJP   I like the classics better than most "now" books.  I like the writing, the thinking and the journey.

Most books written now are a quick story with little thought or interest in language and the turn of a phrase. Which is ok sometimes, but they don't tickle the brain and take you away like the great writers. 

Super Contributor

The Last Green Valley by Mark Sullivan. 

My Dad immigrated from Ukraine, through Germany, to the United States in the late 40's.  He's since passed, but this story is so similar to his it's amazing.  I stumbled onto this book randomly, while browsing the Kindle Unlimited selections and I'm so glad I did.  It's like hearing him tell his early years life story all over again.  And quite timely considering the current state of affairs in Ukraine today.  I told my Mom about the book and she's reading it now too.  

My Dad adored America and was so proud to become Naturalized.  He visited all 50 states in his lifetime.  I'll always be proud of him and my heritage.  

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finished Fear Thy Neighbor by Fern Michaels, pretty good, not award good, but it kept my interest,  Alison is a 29 year old having lived a horrible past she is constantly on the move, always looking over her shoulder.  Having no family or friends, she is alone in this world and trusts no one.  She is on her way Key West when she stops in a small fishing village in Florida, where she falls in love with the quaint village, and decides to make the village her forever home,  Since she had arrived bad Luck seems to have followed her, did she make a mistake by staying, should she just keep moving around, or take a chance?

Respected Contributor

Book club did several of her books. I highly respond Four Winds..
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I see a lot of listings for books by Shalini Boland.  Are her books mostly mystery or???  They must be good, if so many of you have listed them.  Can you list your favorite and why?  I'd like to try one to see if I might like her writing.  Thanks! 

@AngelPuppy1 I love her books, very easy to get into and quick reads. Here are some of the ones that I have read:

The Perfect Family

The Other Daughter

The Secret Mother

The Best Friend

The Child Next Door

The Couple Upstairs

The Marriage Betrayal

All very good!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with @CANDLEQUEEN !

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

I agree with @CANDLEQUEEN !

Absolutely I agree as well!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."