Esteemed Contributor

Re: APRIL 2021 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

@Epicurean wrote:

Carebears,welcome to the world of Steven King. I think I have read most if not all of his books.

one of my favorites was MISERY. About a author who has a car accident and ends up being rescued by "his biggest fan". I highly recommend it. Enjoy your new found author.

@Epicurean 

I read that book years ago before the movie came out, and as a reader that book was frightening. The movie starred Kathy Bates, but the book was so much creepier. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]
I just finished The Unholy (Krewe of Hunters, #6) by Heather Graham.

If you have read this series then you understand that although the murderers always turn out to be flesh and blood criminals, there are always ghosts that are around and tend to help some of the members from this specialized FBI team. 

This book for whatever reason was just average for me. I did not like that the author used a known deceased actor coming back in this work of fiction as a ghost. (Humphrey Bogart)

I will continue to read the series because I do enjoy it, just this particular book was mediocre in my opinion. 

I rated it 3/5 on Goodreads.
Respected Contributor

@icezeus 

Same with me and David Baldacci's book Daylight.  I'm 1/2 way in and haven't picked it up in days.  I think it's going back to the library.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@icezeus 

Same with me and David Baldacci's book Daylight.  I'm 1/2 way in and haven't picked it up in days.  I think it's going back to the library.

@Bridgegal 

I have this one on my TBR list. Perhaps, I will remove. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@icezeus 

Give it a try.  It probably just me.  I usually like his books , just not this one.

You used my favorite word:   Perhaps.  

Respected Contributor

This weekend I finished reading Who Rescued Who by Victoria Schade. The plan was simple:  Elizabeth would ignore the fact that she was unjustly fired from her dream job in San Francisco, fly across the pond to settle an unexpected inheritance in her father's home country, and quickly return to reclaim her position among the Silicon Valley elite.  But when she stumbles upon an abandoned puppy, she's shocked to realize that her brief trip to England might turn into an extended stay.  Along the way she is confronted by long-kept family secrets, hard truths about her former life, and a new romance that might lead her to question everything she knows about love.  Because sometimes rescue magic happens on both ends of the leash.  This was a really good book and I highly recommend it.  

Esteemed Contributor

@icezeus  I have seen the movies ans I never realized he was the author!

Trusted Contributor

In March, I started reading Karin Slaughter's Will Trent mystery series. This weekend I finished book 6 called Criminal. I thought the series started strong but the last couple books have been more about personal family drama and Will's dating life. The love interest is from her other series which I had read until I thought it declined so maybe it's just me not being thrilled to see that character again. There are a few more books in the series but decided to take a break. I may return to it in the future. 

I decided to return to a different mystery series by William Kent Krueger. Last night I started Copper River. 

2021 for me has been reading a few mystery books in a series, take a break, go to a different series, read a few books, then break, go to another series. 

Respected Contributor

@Bridgegal   I have become increasingly disappointed with the latest David Baldacci books and Daylight was no exception.  I was expecting better in this 3rd Atlee Pine installment.  Not sure I will even bother with the next one.  And yet people on Amazon love it.  

Respected Contributor

@alliswell   The Code Breaker sounds like a very interesting book.  I was afraid it would be over my head but I may just out it on waitlist.  Thanks for the review.