Honored Contributor

Re: APRIL 2021 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

Quiet Strength: The Principles, Practices, and Priorities of a Winning Life, by Tony Dungy.   Football player, Head Coach of the Tampa Bay Buc's and Indianapolis Colts. Loving husband, father, and very devout Christian.  This was a wonderful book and I loved watching his games while waiting for my own Dallas Cowboys to begin.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

Just finished Always The Last To Know by Kristan Higgins, it was good but so depressing concentrating on family relationships when the father suffers a stroke and is not able to talk, and has to learn to walk, to eat and so on, but it also focuses on the family in their past lives, and a horrible secret comes just days after the stroke!

Trusted Contributor

I finished The Kitchen Front by Jennifer Ryan.  The ending was kind of predictable, but I liked it.

Tonite I will begin The Venice Sketchbook by Rhys Bowen.  The first time I am reading anything by this author.

Happy reading!

Trusted Contributor

Add me to the list of those who recommend Eternal by Lisa Scottoline.  I thought the writing was exceptional.  Although it was a long book (460 pages) that could have been edited down a bit, the story flowed well, especially in the second half of the book.  The plot involved three young people in Rome at the very beginning of World War 2.  It followed them and their families from 1937-1957, through love, war, tragedy, and perseverance. 

I keep telling myself that I won't read any more books about World War 2, but good ones keep drawing me in.  I have read all of Scottoline's other books, so I was drawn to this one.  It is certainly different from her other books and I am glad I read it.

Honored Contributor

Dance Away With Me - Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Not anything deep but a very nice read.  I had not read anything by this author but she has written a ton of books.  You do get caught up and find yourself rooting for the main character and all that she is going through.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Dark Clouds Over Alabama, by Carl J. Barger.  1853 in Alabama and a 21 year old man studying to be a Dr. whose Father as given him his first slaves.  A mother and a young daughter.  The mother is bi-racial and the father of the daughter was a white man as well.  This 15 year old young woman with blonde hair and blue eyes works in the kitchen with her Mother on the plantation.  The family educates their slaves and at the age of 17 she is sent to prep school in Boston for further education.  All the while she and her "owner" try to fight the feelings they have for each other.  All the while the newly graduated young Dr.marries also deals with the immorality of slavery and war on the horizon.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

I'm reading 'The Accident" by Natalie Barelli. 

Description: Katherine knew she had too much to drink, but the other, passenger, Eve, encouraged her to drive anyway because they were only a short distance from home and there was no traffic. If anyone finds out about the accident, Katherine's life will be ruined. Eve tries to help Katherine forget the incident, but it turns to blackmail and manipulation. 

Katherine is described as being brilliant, but some of the decisions she makes shows her to have little or no common sense. However, I still like the book and am interested to see how it ends.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

I'm reading 'The Accident" by Natalie Barelli. 

Description: Katherine knew she had too much to drink, but the other, passenger, Eve, encouraged her to drive anyway because they were only a short distance from home and there was no traffic. If anyone finds out about the accident, Katherine's life will be ruined. Eve tries to help Katherine forget the incident, but it turns to blackmail and manipulation. 

Katherine is described as being brilliant, but some of the decisions she makes shows her to have little or no common sense. However, I still like the book and am interested to see how it ends.

@teganslaw I read this one a couple of months ago, and I enjoyed it! You are right about the common sense though.....

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Quiet Strength: The Principles, Practices, and Priorities of a Winning Life, by Tony Dungy.   Football player, Head Coach of the Tampa Bay Buc's and Indianapolis Colts. Loving husband, father, and very devout Christian.  This was a wonderful book and I loved watching his games while waiting for my own Dallas Cowboys to begin.

@beckyb1012 I really like and admire Tony Dungy, he is a class act!

Honored Contributor

Just finished Juror # 3, it was really good, now starting Invisible, also by James Patterson!