Esteemed Contributor

Re: APRIL 2021 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

I'm reading "Winter of the World" by Ken Follett. It's the second book in his "Century" trilogy. 

It's a saga about the interrelation of 5 families from various backgrounds and takes place during the Spanish War, WW11 and other events at that time. Very good book; Follett is a wonderful storyteller. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

I just finished The Girls In The Garden by  Lisa Jewell, personally I thought it was slow reading until the last few chapters, when it really took off, overall I thought it was OK!

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@sunala  Did you mean to post in the Book Club forum?

@sunala 

i reported this thread and asked for it to be moved to its regular spot in the book club forum. Smiley Happy

@sunshine45  - Thank you! I was having a problem with my computer (for a change). Especially on the QVC site. It is always jumping and just as I'm going to click on something, it jumps and I click on something else. Anyone else have that?

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@Epicurean wrote:

Carebears,welcome to the world of Steven King. I think I have read most if not all of his books.

one of my favorites was MISERY. About a author who has a car accident and ends up being rescued by "his biggest fan". I highly recommend it. Enjoy your new found author.

@Epicurean- Oh yes, Misery. I read the book and then saw the movie. James Caan and Kathy Bates. OMG the book and the movie were both so good!! I've read most of Stephen King's books, but this was one of the scariest yet. Gerald's Game was another scary one. The ones I actually found the scariest were the ones with normal (or basically normal) people caught in very frightening scenarios. His books that went off into the "woo-woo world" were not as scary because deep down I knew these scenarios could never happen.

I hope you enjoy!!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Trusted Contributor

Read a book by Chris Whitaker,I have read two by him.

This was titled TALL OAKS. Itis the name of the community. It as a story about a 3 year old who was taken from his room. His mother was separated from her husband. She looked at the baby monitor because she heard her name and saw someone n a clown mask in the child's room. The book was very good, but it kept jumping from person to person a lot. I didn't mind as there was many interesting and odd ball people. Liked t a lot. 

Trusted Contributor

@sward05,

thanks for the review for The Kitchen Front.  It's actually sitting on my night table.

Trusted Contributor

Today I finished Meant to Be by Jude Deveraux.  I have read many books by this author and I was looking forward to reading a good romance for a change.  But this book was not good at all.  It was 414 pages of a plot that was disjointed and a mishmash of characters who were interrelated in very weird ways.  I do not recommend this book.

Esteemed Contributor

LOSING FAITH by Adam Mitzner.  I have now read all of his books and this one was my least favorite.  An attorney has an affair with a federal judge, who is murdered.  The judge has been promised an appointment to the Supreme Court if a Russian businessman is convicted of murder and terrorism.  The Russian knows about the affair and threatens to go public unless the judge finds him not guilty.  She is found dead the next day.  The attorney goes on trial for her murder, even though there is very little evidence and much perjury involved.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished Escape Clause (Virgil Flowers, # 9) by John Sanford. I will rate the book 4/5 on Goodreads. 

I love my Virgil Flowers books. 

Respected Contributor

@icezeus , just downloaded Escape Clause.  I am reading Later by Stephen King now. How lucky am I!  Two good books in a row.  Thanks!  S