Respected Contributor

Re: APRIL 2021 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

@roeroe1005 , I seem to be having that problem a lot lately.  Finding it hard to get into books.  I was thinking it was because I am distracted but, honestly, I don't think the books are that good.  S

Honored Contributor

@number one queen wrote:

@teganslaw  I loved  Eleanor  Oliphant, it's  not my usal read, but I really enjoyed this author..  I also read  True  Blood by Robert Galbraith, this was a good book the last 50%. The frist 50% ,I swear was done in lockdown, most could have been skipped!  Survivors, by Jane Harper was a great book.Another one that I did not see coming!

Me, too!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm probably in the minority about "Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine."  There were many 5 star reviews on Goodreads, and I couldn't understand why.  The part that really turned me off was the way she was stalking (no other word for it) the singer. She was pretending that she was going to be his partner or have an affair with him or whatever. It seemed a bit creepy to me. 

Just my take on the book. If the author writes another book,I won't be reading it. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've read two good books in a row this week!  The first one was ANIMAL INSTINCT by David Rosenfelt.  This is the sequel to his new series, The K Team, but I thought this book was much better than The K Team.  It has a lot more Andy Carpenter in it and lots of humor.

The second book was THE LAST BOOKSHOP IN LONDON by Madeline Martin, and I thought it was wonderful.  It's like a love letter to book lovers.  It takes place in London during WWII and shows how important books were to people during this difficult period. It gives you a good idea of how life was during that time, with war, rationing, and bombings.  I really liked it.

Esteemed Contributor

@roeroe1005  I recently listened to The Midnight Library.  Was on many top books of 2020 lists and possibly may have been the top readers book at Goodreads last year (can't find the list right now).  I thought it had a "It's A Wonderful Life" vibe - and not everyone likes that movie. In fact, some people really hate it!  From what I read, the author suffers from depression, and I think you may need to be in a particular frame of mind for the book.  I can definitely see someone not liking it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I finished listening to THE LOST APOTHECARY by Sarah Penner.  Chapters switch between two time periods, with three narrators.  I found myself interested in all three narratives, although Nella's may have sometimes seemed a little melodramatic (may have also been the person reading her chapters!) There were a few surprises and I overall liked the book (although I see plenty of reviews saying it's unbelievable). There was one question that I wish I knew the answer to, so I'm also left a little unsatisfied.  

Edited to say...  Iwas thinking about this.  I really don't think there will be a sequel, but it also wouldn't surprise me either. Think it could be set up to continue the story (and maybe answer the question I have.)

I'm not traveling far for my next read. Moving up to Ireland for Reese's next pick.

Trusted Contributor

@Alter Ego,

Thanks, that explains a lot.  I get the concept, guess I was expecting something else.  

happy reading!

Honored Contributor

The Wrong Family, by Tarryn Fisher.  Only a third into the book so not sure what the ultimate plot is going to be.  A dysfunction family, or a family who may have kidnapped a child 13 years ago.   Or just a family with a highly educated and ill homeless woman in her sixties living in their home that they are unaware of.  Very good so far.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

Just finished The restoration of Celia Fairchild by Marie Bostwick, this was a good book, heartfelt, about so many things, a pure treasure to read!

Honored Contributor

Shiver--I really enjoyed it.