Esteemed Contributor

Re: APRIL 2021 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

THE GIRL FROM HOME by Adam Mitzner.  Jonathan Caine runs a hedge fund in NYC, achieving success from his middle class upbringing in New Jersey.  For Jonathan, he wants what he wants, including a $10 million apartment, a Bentley, the trophy wife, and is working towards a beachfront home.  All of this seems attainable until it comes crashing down and life is not what he ever imagined.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

Just finished STILLHOUSE LAKE by Rachael Caine.  Ginal Royal is the average housewife with a husband, two kids, and does volunteer work.  When a car crashes into the garage of her home, she finds out that her husband is a serial killer.  She is charged as a co-conspirator but found not guilty.  At this point, it is time to take the kids and reinvent herself and the kids.  This is a fast-paced book with lots of action.  Definitely worth the read.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

Today I finished my book club selection for this month:  Wonder by R. J. Palacio.  This is not a new book and I know many of you have probably read it, but if you haven't read it yet, I highly recommend it.  This is a YA book, but the message is for all of us.

The plot is about a fifth grade boy who has severe facial deformities and is attending regular school for the first time.  The author changes perspectives throughout the book.  It starts with Auggie, the main character, then includes sections from the point of view of his older sister and other friends.  The main theme is kindness and acceptance; something we all need more of at this time in our country today. 

Respected Contributor

@sandy53 

Oh my, your words in your last couple of sentences are SO TRUE.  From your lips to God's ears.

Trusted Contributor

@maximillian wrote:

@sandy53 

Oh my, your words in your last couple of sentences are SO TRUE.  From your lips to God's ears.

Thank you.

Respected Contributor

I am a few hundred pages into The Paragon Hotel.  I am in a bit of a reading slump finding it hard to get into books.  This one is not too bad so I may keep going.  I have been returning books partially read to the library, something I rarely did until these last couple of months.  

I need a good 'grab me from the beginning' book!  S

Honored Contributor

@sandy53 wrote:

Today I finished my book club selection for this month:  Wonder by R. J. Palacio.  This is not a new book and I know many of you have probably read it, but if you haven't read it yet, I highly recommend it.  This is a YA book, but the message is for all of us.

The plot is about a fifth grade boy who has severe facial deformities and is attending regular school for the first time.  The author changes perspectives throughout the book.  It starts with Auggie, the main character, then includes sections from the point of view of his older sister and other friends.  The main theme is kindness and acceptance; something we all need more of at this time in our country today. 

I really liked the movie. I only saw it because Owen Wilson was in it but ended up enjoying it very much.

Honored Contributor

The Affair, by Danielle Steel;  Not as good as her last several books in the past few years.  Danielle had been getting out of the "fluff" type books and digging a bit deeper.  This one is kind of like the ones from the 90's. 

The Vanishing Half, by Brit Bennett.  I am only 125 pages in and really enjoying this book.  Brit just brought in a new character right before I stopped reading this morning that made me say out loud "why even go there?"  Maybe it is needed for the story as opposed to just being Politically Correct for a person's identity in this day and time.  Still the book is really good and well written.

@smoky22   I cannot wait to get to number four on the Atlee Pines series.  I hope you do not give up on it and the next one blows us all away!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

A Dangerous Fortune, Ken Follett

debating if I want to read Burr by Vidal ,his American series looks interesting 

@jackthebear I read Burr a million years ago (I am 2 million years old) and loved it!  I have recommended it to a number of people!

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

The Affair, by Danielle Steel;  Not as good as her last several books in the past few years.  Danielle had been getting out of the "fluff" type books and digging a bit deeper.  This one is kind of like the ones from the 90's. 

The Vanishing Half, by Brit Bennett.  I am only 125 pages in and really enjoying this book.  Brit just brought in a new character right before I stopped reading this morning that made me say out loud "why even go there?"  Maybe it is needed for the story as opposed to just being Politically Correct for a person's identity in this day and time.  Still the book is really good and well written.

@smoky22   I cannot wait to get to number four on the Atlee Pines series.  I hope you do not give up on it and the next one blows us all away!!

@beckyb1012 Our book club read The Vanishing Half a few months ago, and we enjoyed it!!