Honored Contributor

Re: ANYONE READ THE MISS JULIA SERIES?

@lork wrote:

I have read all of the Miss Julia series, as has my 91 year old mother.  Actually she introduced Miss Julia to me years ago. . . Since then, each new book has been a favorite birthday/Mother's Day for me to give my mom.  I love this series and all of the characters, who often remind me of those in my world.  This series needs to be read in sequence, and is the perfect fun gift for any reader!  I think that most of the series are also offered as audio books, and the reader has the sweetest southern accent!

@lork 

I'm now half way through book two, and have ordered the next two books.

One thing I noticed .... both books have a rave comment by Fannie Flagg ..... huh?   Any idea why FF was solicited to endorse this series?  

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@lork wrote:

I have read all of the Miss Julia series, as has my 91 year old mother.  Actually she introduced Miss Julia to me years ago. . . Since then, each new book has been a favorite birthday/Mother's Day for me to give my mom.  I love this series and all of the characters, who often remind me of those in my world.  This series needs to be read in sequence, and is the perfect fun gift for any reader!  I think that most of the series are also offered as audio books, and the reader has the sweetest southern accent!

@lork 

I'm now half way through book two, and have ordered the next two books.

One thing I noticed .... both books have a rave comment by Fannie Flagg ..... huh?   Any idea why FF was solicited to endorse this series?  

@Tinkrbl44  My guess would be because Fannie Flagg writes "southern fiction" and the Miss Julia books could be considered in that category too. I have only read the first one and enjoyed it but I intend on going back and reading more of the series eventually. There's just always so many books that I want to read-both old and new.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Honored Contributor

I suddenly realized that, so far, no one has a cell phone and no one uses the internet.   Does that continue with subsequent books in the series?

Honored Contributor

@ceekay wrote:

I have read them all.  Not in order, but as they were available at our library.  I refuse to pay for books...  

I really enjoyed them, she is a hoot as someone else stated.  The most recent book is the last in the series and I like that the author got to tie up all the pieces with a nice "ending".  I am still sad we will never have a "Z" in the Kinsey Milhone series.  

Keep on reading!

@ceekay 

I'm starting book 6 now, and am still enjoying them very much.  I didn't realize the author ended the series ... but I bet it's cleverly done.   

I wonder if this author has a new series in mind .... she's really got a great writing style!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I suddenly realized that, so far, no one has a cell phone and no one uses the internet.   Does that continue with subsequent books in the series?

I found the first book back in the early 2000's at a half price book store and finished reading the last one as soon as it came out this year.  She brings it current as the decades march on.  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I've read all the books in the Miss Julia series, and I don't remember any cell phone or internet that she uses. . . Perhaps I've forgotten. . .

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

A friend mentioned she'd read the series and thought I'd give book one a try.  The dialogue is interesting, and I recall wondering if people in the south really say "I declare" twenty times a day ... LOL ....  very interesting characters.  Woman LOL   

I do hear it from time to time but not like they probably say it further south in Alabama, Georgia and Mississippi.  I did not realize I said "Mercy" all the time until my granddaughter told me.  One day my DDIL said that my GD was saying Mercy every time something surprised her or went wrong.  Passing it down to the generations.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I found the first book back in the early 2000's at a half price book store and finished reading the last one as soon as it came out this year.  She brings it current as the decades march on.  

@beckyb1012 

I read that the author "finished" the series, but I hope she didn't kill off Miss Julia!  

Trusted Contributor

I have read every one of these and have enjoyed tham all!  

Honored Contributor

I really like the way Miss Julia narrates the goings-on.  Every now and then, though,  I wonder why she so often considers what other people may think. 

Not to take away from her .....    Ann Ross is a gifted author.